MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Question Sausage stuffer questions

Im thinking of asking for a sausage maker for christmas. I have a professional Kitchenaid mixer. Should i get the stuffer that is made for the kitchen aid? or should i go with one from cabelas? Im looking at making deer sausage and other sausage as i figure it out. i want one that is easy to use,. but still make a great product.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

The stuffer for the Kitchenaid sucks if you ask me. I used it once and never again. We have the professional mixer, too. So lots of power. Just didn't seem to hold up to the job very well.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

I think I remember a good link out there somewhere ...
maybe one of our moderators can find it.

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get one with metal works (the housing, screw, and cutting plate). If you stick them in the freezer before grinding sausage you will have a lot less problem with the cutting plate plugging up from the stringy stuff. I used to have a plastic one and had a heck of a time. Don't know if the Kitchen Aid is metal or not.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Get one with metal works (the housing, screw, and cutting plate). If you stick them in the freezer before grinding sausage you will have a lot less problem with the cutting plate plugging up from the stringy stuff. I used to have a plastic one and had a heck of a time. Don't know if the Kitchen Aid is metal or not.
Ok. Now i have the meat grinder attachement for the kitchen aid. Would that be essentially the same thing? would i just need the sausage stuffer parts? the tubes? and casings?

Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5

Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Interesting tip.

The plates and auger are metal in the kitchenaid.

Forget the sausage stuffer and get the ice cream attachment. We got one for my aunt and uncle a few years ago. Its pretty cool.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddy
Ok. Now i have the meat grinder attachement for the kitchen aid. Would that be essentially the same thing? would i just need the sausage stuffer parts? the tubes? and casings?
Yep. You can get the tubes at Cabella's or Bass Pro, or Kohl's, or most any store that sells kitchen aid. The casings are a bit of a problem for me, but you are in Texas, you can probably get them at the corner gas station.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yep. You can get the tubes at Cabella's or Bass Pro, or Kohl's, or most any store that sells kitchen aid. The casings are a bit of a problem for me, but you are in Texas, you can probably get them at the corner gas station.
yea they come in different colors. for like 25cents each. (ba ba Cha!!) im here all weekend...

Cool ill let the mother in law know. not to buy me the whole thing then. ill go with a icecream maker instead.. lol. and go to cabelas myself. i love that store.

Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5

Old 11-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Kevin

Quote:
yea they come in different colors. for like 25cents each. (ba ba Cha!!) im here all weekend...

Cool ill let the mother in law know. not to buy me the whole thing then. ill go with a icecream maker instead.. lol. and go to cabelas myself. i love that store.
LOL, you got me there.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
Plowboy

Quote:

There you go! Didn't realize you had the grinder. The tube is a cheap little plastic piece. Get it if you have the rest. The pasta rollers rock, too.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Plowboy

I wonder if you could grind your own spices with the mill attachment. Anyone ever use it?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
I wonder if you could grind your own spices with the mill attachment. Anyone ever use it?
I use a cheap coffee grinder. It leaves some big chunks though. I just run them through a sieve and regrind the chunks.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Plowboy

Quote:
I use a cheap coffee grinder. It leaves some big chunks though. I just run them through a sieve and regrind the chunks.
Same here. Wonder if the mill attachment would create a finer grind?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #14
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Same here. Wonder if the mill attachment would create a finer grind?
I don't know about your coffee grinder but mine is plenty fine, especially if it is a potent spice, when I pop the top even if I let it sit for few minutes.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
Jorge

Quote:

If you have the grinder go with the tube for about $10. If you have a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond etc... If you want to go manual take a look at Northerntool.com. They have some decent stuff at a nice price.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote