Turkey Fatties?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried these? If so, what was your experience with them and the outcome?

I was in the Evil Empire this morning and saw breakfast sausage rolls from I THINK Louis Rich or Butterball that only had 5 grams of fat per serving as opposed to 21 grams per serving on the regular stand-by Jimmy Dean varieties. Since I'm once again obsessed with losing weight (and lost five pounds last week), I bought three of these at about $1.75 each and plan to put them on the smoker this weekend when I do a brisket for a chili contest.

wrap in bacon first.

Quite lean.

One wrapped, one not. The "not" went into the chili pot, for it was a wee bit dry.

Wrapped one was fine, plus it was wrapped in porky goodness

You can fix that dryness by wrapping the turkey sausage around a stick of butter!

ok, forgive me for being a wee bit healthy here, but aren't we flooding away the benefits of using turkey by wrapping in butter. what am I saying... that would be the only way I COULD eat it.....

They also make low fat Jimmy Dean pork fatties, I bought one but haven't tried it.

Congrats on the weight loss, Jeff!

I've always "had" to add fat (either ground pork or butter) to ground turkey burgers or meatloaf but what if you stuffed with something moist yet non-fattening like grilled red pepper strips? Maybe even make smaller mini fatties (shorties) so they don't have to cook as long.

Good ideas, guys. Yeah, I think I'll pass on the butter... it kinda defeats the purpose! LOL! But wrapping in bacon sounds like a good idea that shouldn't add as much fat to the fatty! AND the "porky goodness" is a definite plus! Love that, Bill!

The butter was a joke, just for those that can't read my mind. :)

To make it a bit better, you could wrap in turkey bacon, or use a bit of olive oil mixed in, which is at least better for you.

I think it would be great if we could come up with some ideas that are a little healthier than eating pork 24/7. I want to be posting with you farkers for many years to come.

Jeff, skip the butter and just try some different rubs on them and let us know how they come out.

Make into patties of divide into 4 smaller logs. I smoke the Hormel Turkey breakfast links all the time for a "hellthier":twisted: snack.

The ones I've done I had problems keeping them together, although the flavor has been good. The last batch I did I ended up mixing an egg in before stuffing it. Once it was rolled back up I rolled it in bread crumbs. I thought it was going to end up like turkey meatloaf but after sprinkling it with some bbq rub it came out pretty good.

bonehead said:
The ones I've done I had problems keeping them together, although the flavor has been good.

What about wrapping it in foil and poking holes in it?
That way it lets the smokey goodness in and keeps it together at the same time.

Well, I'm quite pleased with the results of the turkey fatty! It was not dry (the bacon wrap definitely helped it) and had a good flavor. Not greasy and salty like the JD pork counterpart. One-sixth of a roll has:

100 calories
4.5 g of fat
1.5 g of saturated fat
0 trans fats
350 mg of sodium
1 carb
13 grams of protein

(Of course I had about a HALF of a roll but still...:wink: )

These numbers are off the charts for regular pork fatties! Based on my new eating habits, if THIS is now my definition of a fatty, I can easily live with it! There are a few changes I'll make next time. As you can see, there wasn't much in the way of a smoke ring so a total bacon wrap might not be the answer. I'm thinking an hour in smoke and finish in foil with holes poked in it might be better for smoke penetration. Also, Jay's Hen n Hog Dust was used because there is little salt at all in it. I added some salt but not enough. I might either add a bit more or try the Slabs pork rub next time... just experimenting to try to come up with the perfect "as healthy as possible" fatty.

Attachments

• turkey_fatty.jpg
    turkey_fatty.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 63
... excellent subject and some very good suggestions ! The result looks terrific and is definitely something I will do shortly, maybe even Thanksgiving morning.

Thanks for the ideas and pic.

"... just experimenting to try to come up with the perfect "as healthy as possible" fatty."

Yep, you might want to omit the bacon.:biggrin: Use center cut when needed. Try just a slice or 2 on top. Try the skinnies next time. http://www.jennieo.com/product.asp?catitemid=21 They finish in 30-45 min. I put them in the hot spot.

thillin said:
Yep, you might want to omit the bacon.:biggrin: Use center cut when needed. Try just a slice or 2 on top. Try the skinnies next time. http://www.jennieo.com/product.asp?catitemid=21 They finish in 30-45 min. I put them in the hot spot.
----------------------

.... can't do it cold turkey (pardon the pun) ... maybe if I cook half pork links and half JennieO ??

I cooked a Jimmy Dean reduced fat (50% less) fattie the other day and it came out great. I know it isn't as lean as the turkey but it is much better than the original (fat wise) and the flavor was really good.

Back