喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
mbowker641
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bad decision?

The weather around here has been crappy on the weekends, but the forecast for today looked ok, so I decided to clean out the freezer.

Fired up the smoker at 7 am, the temp outside was 27 degrees and it took an hour to get up to 210. I put on 3 racks of babybacks, two butts and 4 fatties. The problem is I can barely keep the temp at 200. Whenever I add wood/charcoal to the firebox, the temp drops to about 170 and by the time it gets back up over 200, I have to add more wood.

I've never done this in the cold before, so is this the typical experience?, Should I be loading the chimney and adding preburning coals? Is the meat gonna turn out wierd because the temps varied so much?
mbowker641 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Anything you can insulate your smoker with? I think I'd add what would normally be too much wood because it appears it won't be too high for too long anyway. Preheat the wood on your smoker so it ignites faster too.

I wouldn't worry about the meat turning "weird" because of varied temps. Ideally you won't have that but I've also heard of cookers in contests practically allowing fires to go out, waking up and firing them back up and getting calls at the awards ceremony.

Cooking in cold weather is definitely a different animal and takes time to basically re-learn your cooker and how it performs in those kinds of conditions.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
swamprb

I stopped and got 4 chickens to do and their calling for high winds today! That usually means I'll lose power and be smokin' in the dark.
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Solidkick

If you can get 3-4 hours of smoke in the meat, then let your oven be your friend...just wrap in foil and finish. You'll be OK....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
mbowker641
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
If you can get 3-4 hours of smoke in the meat, then let your oven be your friend...just wrap in foil and finish. You'll be OK....
I was sort of planning on finishing the butts in the oven. It has warmed up outside a bit and the temp is leveling off at about 210. I think it'll be OK.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Ron_L

Sounds like you're doing OK now, but adding lit coals will help to bring the temp up short term. I'm not sure what type of cooker you are using, but if you can insulate it or block the wind, that would help, too.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

It is cold today here as well. Should only hit 81.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Jorge

On a day like that it is handy to have some lump around.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
mbowker641
Full Fledged Farker

Update- Just took the fatties off and the ribs are almost done too. The probe in the butts says 170, but that seems kinda quick. I'll have to move the probe to be sure.

These are the first fatties I've done and the preliminary results are that I see a long term relationship forming.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Fatties are the best!!!! Experiment with rubs, coatings, anything......can't screw up a fattie!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204
It is cold today here as well. Should only hit 81.
Farker

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
ushi
Knows what a fatty is.

I had similar problems on a windy day a few weeks ago. To make matters worse, it was my second smoke ever. I was going nuts cause I was running through tons of charcoal, and my smoker was not terribly warm. I was letting meats get their smoke in and then foiling and throwing them up real close to my firebox to get done. The brisket however was scaring me. After 10 hours of smoking, it was totally not done. However by this time I was completely smashed, so I said screw it, foiled, threw it closer to the heat, and passed out.

I woke up in the morning with a bit of a hangover, at around 11am, slightly perplexed. I then realized I left the brisket in. I was expecting a a giant chewy brick of beef. brisket was still warm, I still had hope. let it rest for a bit and took a slice. PERFECT.

moral of the story, if the smoker is giving you trouble, get wasted and pass out. everything will turn out JUST fine in the morning.
ushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

MBOWKER, man you have to move!!!!! 27 what does that even feel like?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, up and down fire is no problem, when I worked in BBQ resturant our overnight fire would die about 4am or so, we would come in at 7am and restoke the fire and take things off by 11 or 12.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushi
if the smoker is giving you trouble, get wasted and pass out. everything will turn out JUST fine in the morning.
Sounds like Willie B's method at competitions!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote