The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Default time buffers

during a competition, will anyone put in the same catagory at different times to get a varied choice of doneness at turn in time?

thanks,
phil
rookiedad is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

When cooking butt I will very cooking times by delaying putting on a single butt based on size and if I'm cooking one for slicing. Will do the same for chicken dark meat on before white meat would go on.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Aside from varied weights for the same category which would influence start time (or like Jim mentioned around slice vs. pull or dark vs. white), I'm not sure that strategy is a great one.

For brisket and butts, most teams are allowing ample time to finish and hold so if one finished 30 minutes later so, be it... Chicken parts generally are all consistent in size so varying times should not make much of a difference... Ribs would be similar...

Real experienced teams seem to have timing down to a science..or can make quick adjustments to cooking temp to adapt if things are getting off track

Just my opinion... no right answer to this...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I've tried to vary what time I start the meat, I always panic when it's not done by the time I think it should be done, based on past cooking experiences. Therefore, I find it easier to stick with my original starting time of 11:15 to 11:30 PM at a pit temp of 200* for butts and briskets, bringing it up through the night to a pit temp of 235* for the ribs to go on around 6 to 6:30 AM.

I know Jay and the boys cook a little hotter than I do, so they put their meat on latter. I've been at a comp where a team next to us didn't put his briskets on until 3 AM, but he cooked at about 250*-275*

So I guess the true answer is this: let your style of cooking be a guide as to when you need to start your meat......everyone's mileage may vary!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
When I've tried to vary what time I start the meat, I always panic when it's not done by the time I think it should be done, based on past cooking experiences. Therefore, I find it easier to stick with my original starting time of 11:15 to 11:30 PM at a pit temp of 200* for butts and briskets, bringing it up through the night to a pit temp of 235* for the ribs to go on around 6 to 6:30 AM.

I know Jay and the boys cook a little hotter than I do, so they put their meat on latter. I've been at a comp where a team next to us didn't put his briskets on until 3 AM, but he cooked at about 250*-275*

So I guess the true answer is this: let your style of cooking be a guide as to when you need to start your meat......everyone's mileage may vary!
Solidkick I could not have said it any better then that, way to go .

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by we'll smoke u
Solidkick I could not have said it any better then that, way to go .
If you want a great example of this.... Bubba cooks his briskets starting at 7:00ish AM on Sat. He cooks hot and fast. And places very well.

Others will put them on at 11:00pm Friday night.... and also place well.

I know that dosent answer your question about doneness.... but just shows the variances in cooking times that produce quality que.

As far as doneness... if you are varying your doneness there is likely a reason -- for slicing vs. pulling? for dark meat doneness? packer vs. flat ? Kick nailed it.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
during a competition, will anyone put in the same catagory at different times to get a varied choice of doneness at turn in time?

thanks,
phil
Not on purpose.....

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

The first guy I ever cooked with did that. He had the space with a big Klose, and spent enough on meat that he'd cook 3-4 briskets etc.... It's a little more to keep track of though, but it worked for him.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote