THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rwoodling

Knows what a fatty is.
Looking for ideas and pictures of those of you who run out of an enclosed trailer for comps. I am looking at either a 14 or 16 footer. Small time guy on a small tome budget. I am saving for my porch trailer but it is gonna be a few years. Can you post up pictures of your trailers? Thanks

Here are a bunch of pictures of our first comp trailer. It is a 6x12 v-nose built 6 1/2 feet tall and has rubber coin flooring (highly recommended), sliding windows with screens, florescent lighting, electrical outlets, a 30A service and an RV door.

[ame="https://picasaweb.google.com/113053822212229957735/TrailerForSale?authkey=Gv1sRgCMP3jtWZz7i7mQE&feat=email"]Picasa Web Albums - Ron Lewen - Trailer For Sale@@AMEPARAM@@https://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/base/user/113053822212229957735/albumid/5585939970726373665?alt=rss@@AMEPARAM@@113053822212229957735@@AMEPARAM@@5585939970726373665[/ame]

It is now on it's third owners and is still being used for comps.

We would set up a folding table during they day for prep and turn ins and take it down at night and set up two cots for sleeping.

That was the biggest we could handle with our old SUV, but if I had a better tow vehicle I would have gone for a 16 x8. You can never have enough room!

Here is a typical comp setup for us with that trailer...

IMG_4569.jpg

This view shows the prep table inside...

IMG_4568.jpg

I bought a 6x12 with a 6'6 ceiling
DBA1755B-86E1-40AB-A156-340E32721BED_zps1urssocd.jpg

52C05C5D-8DF6-4541-ADB5-E1A958CBF207_zpsa85pj7fc.jpg

9F4BE1E1-C33D-41C0-8B0D-188996873482_zpshaqmyb1z.jpg

Rustoleum floor epoxy kit
Insulated the ceiling
30a power
LED Lights

Works pretty slick. Wish I bit the bullet and did AC or at least a roof vent right away. Windows a close second on the wish list

Here is a couple pictures of our setup and trailer. We bought it with white walls and A/C then did the rest ourselves. Stores everything we need and is a great place to be out of the heat and weather while working and sleeping. It has poured on us about every contest this year. Took a couple months but worth it now. When we started a wise BBQ guy told me to "get bigger than you think you will need because you will."

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did my first FBA out of a 6x12 and it worked out good. I slept inside with smokers out under a pop up. I used two pop ups total and had plenty of room. My issue was tight quarters while making boxes with two of us and i'd love enough room for two people to sleep as well as an A/C. I bought a 8x16 a few weeks ago but realized it needed more work than I was willing to give it so I sold it. I seemed huge to me so i'm sure it will be big enough for myself and one other person.

I run a Stump stretch and a Mini Stumpster, one cambro, three 60 qt Yeti's, 2 6 foot folding tables, 3 boxes of rubs, sauces and other items and a coffee maker. Bare bones kinda guy right now. I hope to share a new photo soon but please keep posting up.

I went to my first comp this year, and our neighbors parked next to us had a 18ft. toy hauler. So, had the garage, pull down beds from the walls, A/C, AND bathroom/shower! :-D It also had an awning.

I think they said they gave about $4,500 for it, but I thought that was pretty cheap. They were cooking on 3 barrels.

If I ever get into the comp scene, that's what I'm gonna be looking for........

Ed

I wish I would have put a ceiling vent in before I closed off the roof.

I also wish I would have explored adding a window

We bought a 6x12 used from another BBQ team (and brethren) this summer. It was a huge improvement over our two ezups! In your case I would say go with the 16ft instead of the 14. You will thank yourself later. We're holding onto our little trailer till we can upgrade and decide between a toy hauler or a Southern Q Trailer built out with porch, kitchen, sleeping quarters for 4, and a bathroom (yes, it'll be big but if I'm spending the money, I'm doing it right!).

Roof vent with a max air cover to keep it open all the time. Fresh air while storing. flow through vents don't flow so well. Suppose it would help if I wasn't blocking the hole with a smoker

I compromised with the wife on mine. I was going to make a redneck camper out of an enclosed trailer, with bunks, anyway. So why not shop around and try to find a screaming deal on a 19 foot travel trailer. Now all I have to do is tip the Humphreys into the truck, hook up and go. No packing gobs of things, no hassle. Absolutely the best move I have made for hating the pack in and pack out. Even put some led's and brought the Halloween lights last weekend at a comp.

Back