The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Canopy over the cooker?

Has anyone ever run into trouble with the fire marshall for putting an EZ Up canopy over their cooker? The canopies are certified for a certain measure of fire resistance but the label clearly says to keep away from heat sources. I'm just wondering what I would do to shelter my WSM's at a contest if it was raining. I do it in my back yard all the time and have never had a problem but...

Unread 10-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Porkysbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

with a wsm i don't see you having any trouble but with the larger cookers i could see a problem with the marshall

Unread 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Onlyonce did a fire marshall bust my chops. Podunk CT. They were lookign for some code on the label that wasnt there. I had to move the canopy away from the cooker.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

In 14 contests, I've yet to see a fire marshall on site.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
parrothead

Me either. I wouldn't see a problem with WSMs.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I have seen the fire marshalls at several contests, they are usually just looking to ensure you have a current/charged fire extinguisher.

I have never had one bother me about keeping my cooker under the ez-up. That would go for my Home-made tank cooker, or the Kingfishers. I wouldnt worry about the WSMs at all - I see lots of folks cook on them under EZ-ups at contest even when the weather is great - and never be hassled.

Unread 10-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

This is really good to hear as I was a bit worried about it. At my one and only comp, the organizer suggested that I move my canopy before the fire marshall got there because he would surely give me a hard time. He never showed up but the health inspector did. He didn't give us any trouble though. He was more interested in what we were cooking than how we were handling / cooking it. This was the first comp that the organizer had been involved with, so maybe they were just a little jumpy their first time out.

I wouldn't want the cookers under the canopy unless it was raining and I doubt that a wet canopy would be likely to go up in flames. But..., whenever I assume that there will be no problem it always comes back to bite me in the arse.

Phil, what were you cooking on when they asked you to move the canopy? Do you think it would've mattered if you were cooking on something different?

Unread 10-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Onlyonce did a fire marshall bust my chops. Podunk CT.
yep...us too, at the same competition. I believe, and I could be wrong, that you cannot put a cooker under a canopy...regardless of if it is a WSM or a Lang or whatever. What you need to do is ASK QUESTIONS to the CORRECT people. If the fire marshall does show up, you don't wanna be 'non-compliant', it could get you in trouble. It is easy enough to plead ignorance and just move the bullets, but why have him then go checking everything over with a fine tooth comb just because you aggravated him?

In 14 contests, I've yet to see a fire marshall on site
I have seen them many times (we do about a dozen a year, give or take) in New England and further out...maybe it is regional.

Poohbah, do you remember Dr. Frank (solo) with the BoH lady in Podunk?... he just made a joke and she RIPPED his entire site apart... at ten of noon. Different person of authority, but same deal. No one needs that.

have fun out there!

lunchlady
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I've heard from a cooker that a fire marshall at the Harpoon told them that his EZ UP didn't have the required fire rating. I'm not sure what happened, but I can find out.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

So let's say I ask and I'm told it's not OK to put the cookers under the canopy. What would y'all do if you knew it was going to rain? Are there canopies out there that have an acceptable fire rating for such an application?

Unread 10-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

I've run into several fire marshalls. Sometimes they're cool, sometimes they're sticklers.

One thing I have done with my WSMs when it's raining is to take my prep table, which has the leg extenders on, and set it right over the top of them. Worked pretty good.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

OK if a fire marshall started messing with me ten minutes before turn in, I'd have to first tell him most of the fire is out by now and second, come back in two hours. There would have to be a fire marshall physically assaulting me to get me stopped at 11:50 AM!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I just cooked a competition in CA and the fire Marshall required that canopies be 10' from the fire source, it depends where your cooking.
Jim
PS: they were there both days of the cookoff.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

I guess the smart thing would be to ask the organizers and local officials first even if you think you're not going to like the answer. Better to plan ahead and be prepared than to have to deal with it at the last minute.

Unread 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
There would have to be a fire marshall physically assaulting me to get me stopped at 11:50 AM!
It was a CT Board of Health lady....and she WAS practically assaulting Dr. Frank N Swine....he was flying solo at that event too, so he didn't even have anyone to distract her! She came around WAY early (9 a.m.) just as he was getting set up, saw a coupla dirty cutting boards and then came back at about quarter of twelve and went to town on him. Lemme tell y'all, I learned some new swears that time... and so did my kids. They LOVE Frank, and they understood what was happening.

Basically, everyone in the area learned not to mess (even jokingly) with the 'powers that wanna-be".

lunchlady
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote