Need help on smoking this weekend

B

bertkemtncurs

I've got people coming over for my Halloween party Saturday, and have been planning on smoking several butts and some ribs. It's going to be cold (Friday night with wind chill just below freezing, Saturday 44 but with wind probably like 39). I've just got a cheap Brinkmann charcoal water smoker, and I have the electric converter. Can I get this done? Or am I screwed? I can go charcoal/wood, or electric, and keep it fairly out of the wind. Help.
Thanks!

It can be done....and, yes, you're screwed :biggrin:

Can you do any of the cooking ahead of time? If so, you may want to try and get the butts out of the way first and just save the ribs for the last minute/day of cook. How many butts, how many racks of ribs?

Lastly, you can start the cook on Friday night/saturday morning and after about 6-7 hours of smoke on the butts, you can put them (gasp!) in the oven. They'll have a good amount of smoke flavor and you don't have to fight with the wind and temps. If you are comfortable with the electric option, that's a whole other story.....

They make an insulation that looks like aluminum bubble wrap that you could wrap around the smoker to keep the wind and cold to a minimum , but you will still be working hard.

I use a large UHaul moving box to cover my smoker to eliminate any wind issues.

You can also wrap the smoker in a large blanket to retain heat.

Move the smoker into the house?
Seriously, if there's a chance the whole mess will go south, the oven idea sounds pretty darn feasable.

bbqjoe said:
Move the smoker into the house?

When I cooked this past weekend, it was in the 40's and rained the whole day. I set up just inside the garage. It kept the wind and rain off the cooker. I did have to use a little more lump coal to keep the heat up. All worked out just fine.

Yeah, I may be SOL. I'm debating whether or not I should do the best I can and finish everything up on the gas grill, or just call it a loss, have my wife make her chili, and go deer hunting Sat. morning instead.

You could start them in the smoker for some smoke flavoring, then move them to the oven in the house. Or just do them in the house.

Cover smoker with welding blanket, then maybe moving blanket or I have used old area rug (no rubber backing). Oven as a backup.

What is this "cold" of which you speak?

Bigmista said:
What is this "cold" of which you speak?

It's what happens when I come home drunk, smelling like cigars and tell my wife that I "lost" the rent money at Scores....

Back