THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jagrmstr

Found some matches.
I am looking at getting a reverse flow cabinet (Backwoods, Humphrey's, etc.). While searing the web I ran across Heavy Metal Smokers. From the few pictures and data they have on their site they look decent, but has any one had any experience with one? They also seem a fair bit cheaper...

Be VERY careful......
I am nearly certain these are Abe's Smokers with a new name.

Edit: just looked over the website and it IS Abe's. Everything is the same. The new owners (if it isn't still Kevin Abeli) may deserve a chance but with the way Kevin handled or mishandled business and his customers they are going to have a tough time getting started. Go with a Humphrey's or one of the many other reputable builders. While the Abe's cooker is a quality cooker, except for the crappy intakes, I wouldn't risk my money again. My experience was ok but there were soooo many people that were not happy.

Thanks pjtexas!
When i called the message was for a metal sheeting company. When I got to the receptionist I asked the lady if this was the number for Heavy Metal Smokers she said I had the wrong number.. then said oh wait, yes it is. Everyone was at lunch so i left a message. Ill talk to the guy later.

I dont know anything about Abe's Smokers but ill do some research now before i pull the trigger on anything.

Found a post from someone on Abe's Facebook page:

"Interestingly enough I have some news. Abe's Smokers has been sold. The new company is called Heavy Metal Smokers. They will be making the smokers in the near future. I met the guy who will be building them. Let's hope that thus new company will be better at meeting expectations and meeting committed timelines."

And a reply to the post from someone that sounds like he's affiliated with the new company.

"Cannot say much until the site is fully live, but the new company will be nothing like the experience with Abe's. I assure you it will be a much more pleasant and professional one."

do a google search for "abes smokers facebook". Look at the comments. I really wish the new owners luck. They are going to need it. I bet a few guys are going to be all over them for refunds that the previous owner promised but never gave. It looks like someone associated with the new company is trying to answer questions.

from Abe's FB page:
Interestingly enough I have some news. Abe's Smokers has been sold. The new company is called Heavy Metal Smokers. They will be making the smokers in the near future. I met the guy who will be building them. Let's hope that thus new company will be better at meeting expectations and meeting committed timelines.

edit: deguerre'd again:doh:

I don't know why they would buy Abe's business

I would have just started fresh with the rep the guy has

sounds like its a fab shop so they have the equipment anyway

Probably the same guy just saying that they bought it - they a lot cheaper because you only get a partial smoker

Last edited:
Maybe it is like credit. Bad credit is better than no credit in some situations.:confused:

Thread jack....

Dude I see a new rig! Where is the thread showing it and adding to the Shirley thread?

Spent all weekend driving to get my Shirley and didn't get home until after 9pm Sunday night. Then the clouds let loose again this week. I had an hour or so to get it oiled down Tuesday. Hopefully it stays dry tonight so I can do the biscuit test and smoke a naked fatty as per brethren rule #1. Have a brisket thawing in the fridge for Sunday. I will get it fired up this week some time or I am going to go crazy.

I don't know why they would buy Abe's business

I would have just started fresh with the rep the guy has

sounds like its a fab shop so they have the equipment anyway

Having the equipment is one thing, but knowing airflow, and the know how of producing a smoker that will put out good food is another thing. There is alot of skill and years of research that goes into producing good product! By the sounds of it, they don't even know that they are building smokers. I would be careful. Find a company that is knowledgeable about their product and has great customer service.

Having the equipment is one thing, but knowing airflow, and the know how of producing a smoker that will put out good food is another thing. There is alot of skill and years of research that goes into producing good product! By the sounds of it, they don't even know that they are building smokers. I would be careful. Find a company that is knowledgeable about their product and has great customer service.

I agree completely

Avoid this smoker. Save your money and get a used backwoods. This company is based in the same city and has all the indications that it is Kevin building these. You have been warned.
The racks are very flimsy, the heat tape will come off in 2 weeks and the waterpan is rtv'd in. Lots of shortcuts from what i could see. Look elsewhere.....

Back