The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Stumps?

Has anyone used a Stumps gravity feed type smoker?
http://www.stumpssmokers.com/GravityFeedSmokers.htm

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Several guys on here have them.... Butts has a wealth of info -- if you search, there were some discussions on them. I got to look at one at the Royal in action - I liked it alot, I will likely be cooking on one next BBQ season.

Unread 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Yea - if Gator starts selling them and gives you one!! After all the good things you said about the Kingfischers you are going to use something else? Oh, I forgot, you already don't use the Kingfischer - unless you have one with a pellet feed.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Has anyone used a Stumps gravity feed type smoker?
http://www.stumpssmokers.com/GravityFeedSmokers.htm
We have several here who use Stumps. BBQMAN1 (Woodhouse), Pork Avenue, RUB, BubbaQ, and others.

One is even a dealer. (He is waiting to announce that little tidbit).

Guess they are not hanging around right now. I assume they will be in shortly.
I may PM them to get them going

Good cookers.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead
Yea - if Gator starts selling them and gives you one!! After all the good things you said about the Kingfischers you are going to use something else? Oh, I forgot, you already don't use the Kingfischer - unless you have one with a pellet feed.

Now Wayne... when I am cooking in general... I always use the kingfisher. I love the rotisserie. But for contests where it will likely just be Kim, myself, and the two girls.... a stumps or fast eddy is priceless. You saw first hand how easy it is to sleep ( or just drink more? ) with that FEC.... what did we take with it? Oh yea, Reserve Grand!!!

After seeing Parrothead's Stumps at the Royal, and the fact that he said his varies by about 1 degree over a 12 hour cook.... sounds like something I could load in the toy hauler by myself, and do an Ironman :o)

I'll always be singing praises on the Kingfishers - they cook great. But logistically, with the toy hauler - it made the KF hard to use this year. We only used it in 4 contests. I will note - we got calls in 3 of the four contests.... so the KF does well on the circuit too. But without 4 HoDeDos to help load it, I'm looking for backup options like the stumps :)

Unread 10-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you like Stumps have you tried Spicewine?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
ericoask
Knows what a fatty is.

So how are you liking the new Spicewine? Looking forward to getting mine.
Brinkman Electric
Large BGE
ericoask is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I too have a Stumps on order. I ordered it Sept 15th and am expecting it near the end of November. That's the only drawback, but since they are custom made by hand, that is acceptable.

I chose it because of the gravity feed charcoal delivery system. I looked at the Spicewine and the Backwoods. They both look like great units too but I decided to skip the charcoal basket and go for the GF. Also since storage was an issue with me, I needed something that I could store on the patio or in the garage, plus be able to use it at competitions. The fact that you don't feed it logs all night long was a plus.
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Sure Norcoredneck, send me a PM or an e-mail and I'll be happy to share my experiences with the GF. I cook on a GF222CM. Join the Stump's forum and ask questions there as well (of course the brethren is the best BBQ forum on the web the Stump's forum surely has more info on Stump's Smokers).

Good for you HoDeDo, I'm sure you'll make Stump proud.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
Now Wayne... when I am cooking in general... I always use the kingfisher. I love the rotisserie. But for contests where it will likely just be Kim, myself, and the two girls.... a stumps or fast eddy is priceless. You saw first hand how easy it is to sleep ( or just drink more? ) with that FEC.... what did we take with it? Oh yea, Reserve Grand!!!

After seeing Parrothead's Stumps at the Royal, and the fact that he said his varies by about 1 degree over a 12 hour cook.... sounds like something I could load in the toy hauler by myself, and do an Ironman :o)

I'll always be singing praises on the Kingfishers - they cook great. But logistically, with the toy hauler - it made the KF hard to use this year. We only used it in 4 contests. I will note - we got calls in 3 of the four contests.... so the KF does well on the circuit too. But without 4 HoDeDos to help load it, I'm looking for backup options like the stumps :)

I just bought a Stumps GF and I am looking forward to using it. I will keep the Lang also. The one youl looked at the Royal did you like all the extra's he has done to it?
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd
I just bought a Stumps GF and I am looking forward to using it. I will keep the Lang also. The one youl looked at the Royal did you like all the extra's he has done to it?
When did you order yours? I am definately chomping at the bit for mine to get here.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd
Yes... and no.
I like the four tires vs. two.... I wouldnt pay for stainless racks, might make my own, but never had them inthe past, so not a huge deal for me.
Very sharp unit - and everytime I walked by, the Temp was right on... ( We were right across from him, in the expo hall selling Kingfishers.)

Unread 10-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

My stumps delivers the week after the jack, Mine however will have been cooked on just a few times. Andy do you know who has mine now?

The Stumps that I bought is the one you saw in at the royal, yes the exact one, parrothead's with the stainless stainless steel racks, the extra wheels, also has the mods to attach the wires for a guru through the top of the stumps. He is getting a new stumps custom made as we speak or read, and it worked out for both of us as I was getting ready order a stumps like his and so we made a special deal.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]

Last edited by scottyd; 10-20-2006 at 07:42 AM..

Unread 10-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #14
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

looks like my stumps will be coming home right after, John does the Jack Daniels contest. I can't wait. It is going to be so different from my lang. ahh sleep durning the night.zzzzzzzzzzz
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]