The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Mrs. Sawdust
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Do you really love it Gals?

Hi, I am Guy's wife Mrs. Sawdust and I have a question for the Ladies or Gentlemen if they prefer to answer. I absolutely love competing in BBQ contests. I love all of it. I really don't think Guy realizes how much I enjoy this. I have a feeling he thinks I do it for him but I really don't. It is fun competing with him but if he decided to stop tommorrow I think I would continue. So here it is. How many of you ladies participate because you enjoythe contest and how many do it just for your husbands sake and why.What is said here stays here so fire away.
Equipment:
"Sam-I-Am: XL Big Green Egg
"R2 and D2": Twin 22" Weber Smokey Mountains
Brewery:
Custom Made Automated Souped Up Sabco
Mrs. Sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Sawdust
Hi, I am Guy's wife Mrs. Sawdust and I have a question for the Ladies or Gentlemen if they prefer to answer. I absolutely love competing in BBQ contests. I love all of it. I really don't think Guy realizes how much I enjoy this. I have a feeling he thinks I do it for him but I really don't. It is fun competing with him but if he decided to stop tommorrow I think I would continue. So here it is. How many of you ladies participate because you enjoythe contest and how many do it just for your husbands sake and why.What is said here stays here so fire away.
If a person is immersed in barbecue enough to view and post here (and therefore answer your question), I think they will tend to have the same point of view as you. Q fanatics come in all varieties...
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

I am so addicted to Q, it is insane. Basically, it is what I do. Not only do I cook with our team, lunchmeat, but I am a CBJ, I am teaching my kids to compete in the Kid's Q, I volunteer as much as possible at cooking/judging schools, talk about Q and promote it every chance I get, and I proudly hold a seat on the NEBS BoD.
I am friends with many of the competition teams, in New England and beyond, my children are growing up with other teams' children. My husband likens us to 'carny folk', but we eat much SO better. When he first started mentoring, he came home and said this was the hobby for him. I totally agreed, we formed a plan, and we have been on the BBQ trail ever since. (September, 2003)
Although I know people that cannot stand the fact that their husband is so into Q, I do not think I could live without it either. I have injectable marinade running in my veins, and I dream about garnish.
Mrs. Sawdust... doncha think it would be fun to compete WITHOUT the menfolk? I personnaly would like to see how they do without us too, but the competitor in me can't take the chance that they may DAL. Not likely, heheh, but I like to think they could'nt do it without us. Maybe sometime this coming season (2007). My teammate, Terri, and I were thinking of going out as the "lunchladies", without the guys.
We shall see what happens.
good chat.
lunchlady
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

When Andy first started I had no interest. He had joined his father and uncle's bbq team,(the HoDeDos), so it wasn't really an option to join in, and my first daughter was still a baby.

A couple a years later Andy and our bother-in-law, Matt, started their own bbq team, Smoke on Wheels. That's when Amy (Andy's sister) and I started getting into it. Starting mostly with setting up and clean-up duties.

This year I have really been into particpating. Mostly because Andy and I decided that we wanted to do a lot comps this year on our own. So I started helping wherever he needed me to. I'm still on kid duty for our 3 & 5 year old, but I have taken over the boxes and would like to take over a meat this next year. I would also like to become a CBJ this year. We will see what happens.

Like Lunchlady, our oldest daugther cooks the Kids Q's and we love meeting all the teams and families. We have made so my friends this year and plan on keeping in touch with many of them over the off-season.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote