喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Beef Tongue Anyone?

Was at a Sam's Club in Holland, MI yesterday and found myself looking at what I at first thought was a small whole beef tenderloin and it turned out to be a 3# beef tongue! The gal behind the meat counter asked if I liked tongue! Not quite sure how I should answer I decided disgression was the better option and replied that I had never tried Beef tongue. She proceeded to inform me that all you had to do was toss it in a crock pot, cover it with water and add a few cloves of garlic then let it cook on slow for 10-12 hours. She said it would be the tastiest, most tender meat I ever ate. Again I went with disgression. She said after you take it out of the crock pot you just peel away the fat and gross looiking stuff then slice across the grain. She said it was great for burrito's and taco's. Evidently it is a Latino staple along with cheeke(sp?) cow's head cooked in hole in the ground. I asked her if she ever smoked a beef tongue to which she replied no but I figure if you make it tender and tastey in a crock pot you ought to be able to achieve better results by smoking it so I bought two. Any of you out there ever try smoking a beef tongue?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

I have had it served to me once before many years ago. It was boiled I believe, and it was very tender. I can't imagine why you couldn't smoke it.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

In either Legends of Texas BBQ, or the Tex Mex cookbook by the same author there is a recipe for Lengua. I don't have either here at the house with me right now though. I think it was smoked, but I'm not certain.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

Here is the way I do them. Very popular down at the local watering hole.

Tongue
Water
Beer – 1 bottle
2T chopped garlic
2 green onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
1t salt
2t black pepper

Soak tongue in salted water for 2 or 3 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.

Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.

Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.

Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Man, I haven't had tongue in a lot of years. My folks used to boil it and we'd eat it with horseradish. Smoked and encased in a horseradish paste...hmm... The only thing is I'd have to eat the damned thing all by myself! People are SO squeamish these days!

<cue the Poobah, stage left>

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
parrothead

Tastes just like roast beef when done to a more tender point. We were going to do this, but ended up not. Boil for at least a couple of hours. Peel all of the skin off before you smoke. The skin on the tongue will probably act as a barrier. Then trying smoking how ever you like. Haven't had tongue in a long time. Gonna have to find me one.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Gonna have to find me one.
Here are a couple...

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Arlin_MacRae

Oh wait, was this Q Talk?

MODERATOR!!!!!

Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
frognot
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
In either Legends of Texas BBQ, or the Tex Mex cookbook by the same author there is a recipe for Lengua. I don't have either here at the house with me right now though. I think it was smoked, but I'm not certain.
Found it in Legends of Texas BBQ. Says put in crockpot on high for 5 hours, turn over, then low heat for 5 hours or so until tender. Recipe is for one pound tongue though. Spices are salt, pepper, garlic & onion.

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
bittertruth
is one Smokin' Farker

Location: High Point, NC. Deep in the heart of the Cradle of Que!

Lengua was a every sunday type of meal for me when i lived in Texas. I would put one in the crock pot before i went to bed and i would wake up to Lengua tacos in the morning. Awesome!
"The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog." G. K. Chesterton

New Braunfels Bandera smoker
Weber Kettle
bittertruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot
Found it in Legends of Texas BBQ. Says put in crockpot on high for 5 hours, turn over, then low heat for 5 hours or so until tender. Recipe is for one pound tongue though. Spices are salt, pepper, garlic & onion.
Sadly OldTimers is catching up with me....

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

funny, I just had some this morning very very tasty stuff.

Unread 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

ARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...

does that thing come in cryovac... ???chit... Why is it gray??

OMG..

OMG..

FARK...

WTF??

I am at a loss for words. Im gonna go make a salad. Cant we just call it brisket?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

That looks as disgusting as the recipe with the lamb's brains! Sorry, Neil and Neil. Just doesn't appeal to me.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
ARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...

does that thing come in cryovac... ???chit... Why is it gray??

OMG..

OMG..

FARK...

WTF??

I am at a loss for words. Im gonna go make a salad. Cant we just call it brisket?

THAT'S what I've been waiting for!!!

Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...