Brisket Slicing Question

Boston Smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
When slicing brisket, I have always tried to cut as close to perpendicular as possible to the grain. Most of the times, this has me cutting diagonally across the flat, leaving me some shorter slices as well as some very long slices in the middle. I've noticed on Aaron Franklin videos that his slices seem to be more uniform in size and his cuts don't seem to be at a diagonal direction across the flat. I had just assumed that his briskets had a straighter grain across the flats than mine. But in his chapter on slicing brisket, he comments that you don't need to be exactly perpendicular to the grain- Just don't cut with the grain. Do most folks here cut exactly against the grain or do you shift slightly (or even significantly) off of perpendicular for more uniform slices?

Thanks!

I shift mine a bit as I slice down the flat. Sometimes it's not exactly across the grain, but it's no big deal.

JDVwVx5l.jpg

It actually depends on how tender the brisket is. If its marginally done or right on the money, more or less cut across the grain. The more tender it is, the less you cut across the grain to keep it from falling apart, if that makes sense.

It actually depends on how tender the brisket is. If its marginally done or right on the money, more or less cut across the grain. The more tender it is, the less you cut across the grain to keep it from falling apart, if that makes sense.

If I'm cooking the brisket for family and friends, this works great. If I'm cooking it for competition, I will trim the brisket so that when I cut it perpendicular to the grain, the slices I need will be uniform in size. Then, all I have to do is make sure I cook the beast properly.

It kind of depends. Sometimes you get one at such an angle you don't really have much of a choice. Other times they are like the image/diagram above and you can straighten out the slices a little. I quit worrying about it. if the slices are too long they can be cut in half.

Pitbull...I know exactly what you are saying.:thumb: It happens but its still better than under-done.

I put a tight "V" notch in mine when it's raw to show me the grain direction. As is cooks the V opens slightly. When I slice I go across the V which is against the grain. The grain direction in the point is off at least 45° from that of the flat.

m6H7w.jpg

Back