The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
BrianBinOR
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fixing a Flat

Back when I was "cutting my teeth" on my Brinkmann "R2D2", All I ever barbecued when doing brisket was smaller portions. Once I upgraded to a bigger horizontal smoker, I also graduated to smoking full-sized briskets. But now that I'm a student instead of an employee, I have to watch the budget a bit more. Today I picked up a very nice brisket flat, and I plan on cooking it this weekend. My question is, are there any considerations that need to be addressed when smoking a flat as opposed to the whole brisket? I recall that back in the early days, my efforts at brisket wre good, but just didn't stack up to my more recent efforts. I'm sure some of that has to do with the quality of smoker, and a lot of it has to do with the things I've learned since then ablout temperature, marinades, etc. But what part of that has to do with the difference in the two cuts?

PS

I love wifey's payday. I was also able to pick up a pork shoulder, and as per the recommendation of my brethren, I'm going to try the Smoke & Spice recipe fo The Renowned Mr. Brown.
BrianBinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Professionals fix flats from the inside of a tire with vulcanized patches. Those plug inserts should be used for temporary purposes.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Professionals fix flats from the inside of a tire with vulcanized patches. Those plug inserts should be used for temporary purposes.
I actually thought the same thing, but I restrained myself!

When I used to do brisket flats I'd season them per usual and then put a layer of slice bacon over the top to keep everything moist.

Now, I inject all the briskets (flats or packers) - I don't know if I'd still do the bacon, but it sure was a nice addition to the cook and made fabulous BLT's!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Do you brine, marinate or inject the flats. I had some of Adam Perry Lang's winning brisket from Hudson Valley, the texture was unreal. Still trying to figure if it was the meat, the cook, the cooker, the process or just a little of all of the above.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I don't brine, marinate, or inject flats

Costco cryo flats up to 8# is all I can get.

Fat cap down

Pit temp 215 ish

Spray with apple juice, till internal 180, wrap in foil in pit to 195, cooler for hours

In fact, in 5 years, I never even cooked a point, so all my briskets have been done this method, and it seems to work fine

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine & Swine
Do you brine, marinate or inject the flats. I had some of Adam Perry Lang's winning brisket from Hudson Valley, the texture was unreal. Still trying to figure if it was the meat, the cook, the cooker, the process or just a little of all of the above.
He probably dry aged it. The benefit of being exec chef for a steak house as well as a BBQ joint.

Spicewine Custom Medium Large (Thank You Sawdustguy)
Primo Oval (and BBQ Guru for when I need a nap)
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (used mainly for storage)
Meco Aussie Walk-About (AKA the princess grill)
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote