THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

SmokeInDaEye

I was planning all week to try cooking a beef shoulder this weekend but could only find a whole one and don't really need to cook a 22# hunk of meat for 2 people!

So I bought some thing labeled Superior Angus Knuckles (Sirloin Tip), basically a really nice looking 12# roast. Anyone have exeperience cooking a large sirloin tip? I'm wondering what I should take the internal temperature to. Perhaps medium/med-rare so it doesn't dry out?

It actually looks to have some decent marbling (from what I can see through the cryovac).

You're on the other end of the beast my brother. Sirloin is much leaner than chuck (shoulder) and less forgiving. I suggest doing a search here for "tri tip". Good eating for sure, just needs to be cooked differently than chuck.

If it were me, I would get the cooking chamber temps up to around 300, and shoot for an internal temp of no more than 145 max. My personal preferance would be 140.

After it comes out of cooker, rest it, loosely foiled for at least 15 minutes before sllicing.

As Kevin suggested, lots of stuff on forum.

qman said:
If it were me, I would get the cooking chamber temps up to around 300, and shoot for an internal temp of no more than 145 max. My personal preferance would be 140.After it comes out of cooker, rest it, loosely foiled for at least 15 minutes before sllicing. As Kevin suggested, lots of stuff on forum.

I think that's the way to go. Probably sliced thin. At 12 pounds it may be a top sirloin roast? For it to be a tri-tip the steer would have to weigh in at 4,000 pounds or better.

Thirdeye, you are right about the tri-tip. My assumption is that any hunk of meat from that part of the steer is going to cook about the same.
The directions for "Poobah's Prime Rib" will work with the sirloin roasts.
I generally keep cooking beef in the smoker simple. Salt and pepper for seasoning, let the wood smoke do the work.
The higher temp helps develop a good exterior crust.

Of course, a sirloin is never going to be as tender as a rib roast, but this Hunk of Black Angus might come close.

BTW, the way you said it was labled Smokeindaeye, it might be a bottom sirloin, would include the muscle that is seperated and sold as a tri-tip. [I think:rolleyes: ]

i saw some big hunks of meat a day or two ago labled sirloin tip......8-12 pounds.....was thinkin' of cookin' one of em!

jpw, the sirloin roasts do great in the smoker. They have a real beefy flavor and pick up smoke real well. They are just too lean to cook like a brisket or chuck. Can't take them to pullable temps, but cooked to medium-rare they rock.

[I have not done it yet, but I have been thinking about trying the brethren method of cooking pork loin to high internal temp on a beef loin roast]
I think it is ChiBill's method?

I'm with Qman... Keep it simple. Salt, pepper, and some garlic for me, please! I would cook it to 135 internal and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Of course you could always save out a chunk and grind for steak tartare.
Save another chunk, and make jerky.
Cut a few more slices and make bourbon steaks.
VIOLA no more meat!!!

bbqjoe said:
Of course you could always save out a chunk and grind for steak tartare.
Save another chunk, and make jerky.
Cut a few more slices and make bourbon steaks.
VIOLA no more meat!!!

Yeah, Joe, but then you got to go buy another one and start over.....
Wait a minuite, that's not a bad thing................................

Just curious, no one has mentioned cook temps. What kind of pit temp does everyone use for sirloin roasts :?: I tend to go a little higher, around 325°. On tri-tip I've had good luck at 250° and grilled them at 350°-400° Santa Maria style.

qman said:
If it were me, I would get the cooking chamber temps up to around 300, and shoot for an internal temp of no more than 145 max. My personal preferance would be 140.

After it comes out of cooker, rest it, loosely foiled for at least 15 minutes before sllicing.

As Kevin suggested, lots of stuff on forum.

In the grand brethren tradition of quoting yourself.

This all sounds great. I was really excited to try a shoulder clod but this should be fun as well.

Planning on injecting it overnight then rubbing it and throwing it on early Monday morning. Not sure I can get my smoker up to 300* but should be able to run at a constant 275* for however long it takes to get to 140* internal. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Clint, sounds like a plan. I will be by Monday night for the tasting.

i do tri tips exactly like the prime ribs.. qmans right.. its a big ass roast beef.. Pull no higher that 135 and let rest covered for about 10-15 minutes and slice thin... for med-rare... if it rests much longer it will be med to med-well.

i serve it with au jus or beef broth over garlic bread a-la french dip.

Just put the giant roast on. We'll see how it comes out!

Last edited by a moderator:
BBQchef33 said:
i do tri tips exactly like the prime ribs.. qmans right.. its a big ass roast beef.. Pull no higher that 135 and let rest covered for about 10-15 minutes and slice thin... for med-rare... if it rests much longer it will be med to med-well.

i serve it with au jus or beef broth over garlic bread a-la french dip.

Followed everyone's suggestionsl, and the reviews were great!

I injected last night with Dr. BBQ's big beef marinade then rubbed today with a salt, pepper, cayenne, turbinado, etc. Branded it with a "double C" for the heck of it, then let it sit in the smoker for 6 hours until done (cooking at 250*.)

Came off at exactly 135, sat 10-15 minutes as Phil suggested, then sliced as thin as I could get it. Very rare, very tastey! Ran it through the cooking liquid and served. Perfect! See what you think...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back