THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

Sausage Warrior

Hallelujah, the weather has finally broke in NO-HIO and that means smoked sausage time. Andouille as a matter of fact!!! Sure, I could have made some in the pellet cooker but that just wouldn't be right to put those lovely tubes of meat on a grill instead of hanging them up in my cheap vertical.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

My modified Brinkman - put some heavy hinges on, lined the doors with some high temp felt, put some fire brick in the base, set a coil burner and amaz -n-tube pellet smoker - perfect with weather like this I can hit 165 degrees.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Well, I might as well do some baby backs and pastrami while I'm at it . . .

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OH LA LA . . . .

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

Ribs weren't bad either . . . . use cherry for the ribs & pastrami, pecan for the sausage . . .

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

pastrami - sliced thin to win . . .

IMG_0780.jpg

Well, I earned a rest. I think I'll do pizza next weekend (I made some bulk Italian sausage while I was at it and divided it into individual servings for the pizza . . .

Lookin' good. I'm normally all-in for sausage and make about 4 batches each year, and help a couple of buddies when they make theirs. This year some friends got together and made close to 700 pounds in 2 varieties. Luckily, I had to work that Saturday. :biggrin1:

Man, your making me hungry. Some good looking food there.

Last edited:
That sausage looks great! I would love more pics of that pastrami looks like you nailed that too!

Thanks for you comments. I used only a bone in pork butt for this sausage so used only the fat in that primal cut. I do about 30% - 35% chopped to ground. Fat seems to be very visible through the casings however (thankfully). My photo of cut up sausage was right out of the smoker before cooling down so the fat is melted a little bit. I take them out of the smoker when about at 155 IT and drop them in ice water to stop the fat from melting then air dry with a fan for an hour or two then put them back in the fridge overnight uncovered. It makes the fridge smell a bit the next morning but worth the effort.

I've got some nice smoked hocks and looking forward to chopping up some sausage for some red beans and rice later this week! Now if only I could nail some NOLA style french bread (the most elusive thing in the world).

700 #s really am I reading that right? Murder.

Yep, that's not a typo. They only did the seasoning and stuffing, this year the market they bought all the meat through offered to do the grinding free if they bought seasonings and wrapping materials from them. My buddy said they had 3 stuffers going and 6 guys + wives that were doing weighing and wrapping.

Very nice! I love home made sausage, esp. andouille. I made some tasso a while back - gotta make a batch of andouille and get some jambalaya going!

Great cooking!

Back