THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Titch :-)
So I read in the Throwdown section of members saying ,that's not meaning Independence day food to me .
Remember I am a Blonk, to me independence day was a movie.
What is an Independence day feed and why.
Thanksgiving I can understand, the food and all but?
help me out here.

Well there is no wrong answer but I'll tell you what I think.

For meat its simple grilled food. Burgers n dogs hot the mark. Ribs, sausage, chicken all fit the bill. Wash that stuff down with American lager beer. the sides, the glorious sides. No 4th of July cookout would be complete without the summer salads. Coleslaw, potato salad, and pasta salad are three staples. Add in a little watermelon and serve some sort of cobbler for dessert and your set. Like most holidays it's about family and friends getting together and whatever traditions they behold. The food is just a backdrop.

So I read in the Throwdown section of members saying ,that's not meaning Independence day food to me .

help me out here.

Titch,

Independence Day is a celebration of declaring our separation from a tyrannical monarchy who tried to rule and tax the people of this great nation.

Although many think it is the day (July 4th, 1776) we achieved or freedom, it was not; it was the day that we declared our independence from English rule and taxation without representation. The Revolutionary War did not end until September 3rd, 1783.

The food for the day is an extravaganza and includes a wide variety of fare as Smoke Ninja indicated. Simple and abundant meats ranging from burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken, steak, as well as whole roasted pigs. Basically anything goes and there are an abundance of items to choose from...

Typically it is a gathering of family and friends who all bring something to share. There is much to choose from and usually there are many leftovers that in turn are divided up and taken home for the next day's lunch/dinner.

Think of it as a summer picnic gone wild... LOL

Yep, the others have answered well.

I'll give mine anyway. An outside gathering of family and friends grilling simple foods. Think racetrack food and atmosphere. :grin:

I view the interpretation as as anything your typical backyard weekend warrior lighter fluid slinging grill it and growl types are comfortable grilling.
Iammadman summed up the why pretty well.

And what the hell is a Block? I know you're Australian but I've never heard that term used.

Many times, I've cooked a turkey on the 4th, with my other kettle set up for burgers, sausages, and hot dogs. My wife would make a salad, and the rest was made up of dishes the guests brought. No one ever complained about the turkey being there. It was Benjamen Franklin's choice for national bird, after all.

Titch,

Independence Day is a celebration of declaring our separation from a tyrannical monarchy who tried to rule and tax the people of this great nation.

Although many think it is the day (July 4th, 1776) we achieved or freedom, it was not; it was the day that we declared our independence from English rule and taxation without representation. The Revolutionary War did not end until September 3rd, 1783.

The food for the day is an extravaganza and includes a wide variety of fare as Smoke Ninja indicated. Simple and abundant meats ranging from burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken, steak, as well as whole roasted pigs. Basically anything goes and there are an abundance of items to choose from...

Typically it is a gathering of family and friends who all bring something to share. There is much to choose from and usually there are many leftovers that in turn are divided up and taken home for the next day's lunch/dinner.

Mad Man hit it out of the park.

When I lived on the east coast, we would hit the beach and have a clam bake. Lobster, crab, clams, mussels, shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes. It was awesome., I am drooling just thinking about it. Then we'd sit back, have some beverages and watch the fireworks show.

Out here on the west coast, it is normally grilled meats, light summer salads, and the beverage of your choice. Dessert usually consists of various homemade ice creams, brownies, cookies, pies, etc.

Honestly though, it was more about friends and family all getting together celebrating and having a good time than the food.

Burgers, Steaks, Baseball, Hot dogs, and Apple pie!
This... with watermelon and homemade ice cream. :grin:

For me it depends on how many people at the cookout. If there are just a few, I go with steaks. If there is a big crowd I go with something less expensive.
Another option for large crowds has been whole hog. Cooking a whole hog is easier to me than flipping 100s of burgers and dogs.

This... with watermelon and homemade ice cream. :grin:

For me it depends on how many people at the cookout. If there are just a few, I go with steaks. If there is a big crowd I go with something less expensive.
Another option for large crowds has been whole hog. Cooking a whole hog is easier to me than flipping 100s of burgers and dogs.

I think you've been to my paw paw's 4th of July cookouts while he was alive!:shocked:

He'd guard the ice cream from onlookers while it was being made and everybody was wobbling around trying to recover from their food babies.

Titch,

Man. I read this and I swear I could hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing softly in the background...

Just me?

Great post.

help me out here.
He is a "Blonk".
Google search led to urbandictionary.com
"Blinking so hard that your eyes blonk"
"A complex maneuverer that involves closing one eye whilst keeping the other one open"
"As Used mostly in Australian jails, a blonk is somewhat of an analygist to an idiot."
"To hit someone with a large trout that weighs at least 20 pounds."
Here are more.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blonk

He is a "Blonk".
Google search led to urbandictionary.com
"Blinking so hard that your eyes blonk"
"A complex maneuverer that involves closing one eye whilst keeping the other one open"
"As Used mostly in Australian jails, a blonk is somewhat of an analygist to an idiot."
"To hit someone with a large trout that weighs at least 20 pounds."
Here are more.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blonk

That's the one.

As Used mostly in Australian jails, a blonk is somewhat of an analygist to an idiot.

We have a self deprecating sense of humour back home. :laugh:

Titch,

Think American Australia Day mate and you'll be bloody close...but no cricket. :sad:

When I think of "Independence Day" and "BBQ", I think of food you eat with your hands that is served on your finest paper plate. Burgers, dogs, chicken parts, corn on the cob, salads (pasta, veggie, or green), watermelon and other smaller fruits, and deserts(ice cream, pies, cakes, cobblers, etc). Some or all the above, washed down with a cold beverage (or six), and shared with as many friends / family as you can stand.

"Independence Day is a celebration of declaring our separation from a tyrannical monarchy who tried to rule and tax the people of this great nation"

Not to change the theme or become political but I think we are going backwards to the beginning...

If you haven't figured it out, Titch, it means something different to everyone. A lot of it is traditions, both family and geographical. If you ask someone from Wisconsin I'll bet the answer includes bratwurst. Someone from Chicago will probably include steaks and hot dogs, and someone from Lousiana will probably include a crawfish boil or jambalaya.

That's the reason I chose that TD category. It gave the cooks a chance to show off what they do for Independence Day. It was an open category and there were no special rules except to cook what you normally would on that day. I was amazed at how many people chose to questions what others would cook in their own back yard. I didn't ask them to cook what someone else would cook. I asked them to show us what they would cook, and everyone did that.

If you haven't figured it out, Titch, it means something different to everyone. A lot of it is traditions, both family and geographical. If you ask someone from Wisconsin I'll bet the answer includes bratwurst. Someone from Chicago will probably include steaks and hot dogs, and someone from Lousiana will probably include a crawfish boil or jambalaya.

That's the reason I chose that TD category. It gave the cooks a chance to show off what they do for Independence Day. It was an open category and there were no special rules except to cook what you normally would on that day. I was amazed at how many people chose to questions what others would cook in their own back yard. I didn't ask them to cook what someone else would cook. I asked them to show us what they would cook, and everyone did that.

ron do agree it can mean different things to different folks. I dont want to speak for others, but i will. Some entries felt like they were posting things they happened to cook that week. This is fine as it was an open category, maybe an explanation or back story would have helped. I personally like to reward those that i feel planned a cook for the category.

It maybe best to say why one voted for who they did more than why they didnt vote for who they didn't.

Back