The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Default Butler, Missouri

Anyone entered or heard anything good/bad about this comp? It is sanctioned and they told me they expect around 25 teams. It is this weekend (15th/16th).
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

First year contest. That's all I know. Smokin Roy Donny Allee tried to get me to enter but I'm gonna be at the Bash so I couldn't swing it. If you cook it, let us know. Might be a do-able one for next year.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Will do, we will be there around 10am.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org

Old 09-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice contest, great location and a very good atmosphere. You could tell it was a first year contest, their were some hiccups, but overall I thought it was great. Finished with a third in ribs and seventh in chicken, first contest with the Fast Eddy.
2 Weber Kettles

www.odmp.org

Old 09-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Who took GC and RGC? I was there but I was judging and when it was finished I went home.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

What did you think of your FEC? I've cooked a total of 5 contests now on one....

Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Grand: Ray J
Reserve: Smokin' Roy
3rd: Slabs
4th: Woodshed BBQ
5th: Set It & Forget It
6th: Sedalia Master Basters
7th: Smokers Wild
8th: Hoppy's White River chef
9th: Butts A Fire
10th: J&C Cooking Crew
2 Weber Kettles

www.odmp.org

Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
What did you think of your FEC? I've cooked a total of 5 contests now on one....
I love it. I bought a Yamaha Generator to run it at contests and something went wrong on Friday afternoon and I had to use the house power. It was a really long night, I was waiting for the inevitable surge or power outage but it never came, FE worked like a charm. I am going to get an inverter set up for the Royal if I don't get the issue resolved. I cooked everything but chicken on it.

If I had one complaint it would be the uneasy feeling I had. Its almost like I was waiting for something to go wrong, I think thats just my pessimistic nature and the generator issue didn't help. I want to get the spare parts kit, I think that will help ease my mind. I would definately go with the FE again and wish I had another one.
2 Weber Kettles

www.odmp.org

Old 09-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Pellet cookers.... ppppffffffftttt!!!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Yea, yea.....I figured that was coming. I did tend plenty of fires though before I bought it if it makes you think more highly of me
2 Weber Kettles

www.odmp.org

Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

I'm just giving you grief because you can get 6-8 hours of sleep and I can't! Plus my buddy HoDeDo is slowly being drawn to the dark side!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
I'm just giving you grief because you can get 6-8 hours of sleep and I can't! Plus my buddy HoDeDo is slowly being drawn to the dark side!
This is why I asked Dean..... I have cooked on old okie joe's, Kingfishers, heck even on the back 1/2 of a '56 Mercury wagon we called the Raging Bull... ( due to the stacks) But I bought a toy hauler, and my current Kingfisher takes muscle to move in and out of it.... The shop installing my Winch has an FEC.... so I took it hostage until the winch is in.... Needless to say, I really like it... and have 2 reserve Grands, and a couple top 10's cooking with it. But I too, have issues worrying about power, and the fire going out - or cooker catching fire ( like I have seen them do, and another brother has seen them do). BUT - I still love it. But thanks to Butts, I'm also looking at Stumps smokers, and I have come across one from a local KC shop - American BBQ Systems.... like a good-one w/ a rotisserie.... and of course Spice makes a killer cooker ( just too heavy to pull in and out of my toy hauler.)

So I am swinging towards the darkside myself... and glad to hear of your experience with it ... Thanks Dean.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Apparently a pure sine inverter, a deep cycle marine battery, and a trickle charger is the way to go. I got too fancy with the generator I guess. The team next to me at Butler (Woodshed BBQ) had a FEC and was running it with that set up. He had no power problems. Good luck with your choice, I too looked at the Stumps and Spicewine. I went with the FE because my wife can use it without having to build a fire.
2 Weber Kettles

www.odmp.org