Deep Fryers

Quint

Full Fledged Farker
Anybody have any experience with deep fryers? Many of the reviews I've read for models that are consumer (not commercial) models readily available at Walmart, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Home Depot, are not good. Most issues seem to be, does not get up to desired temp, or won't maintain desired temp etc. Anybody with some knowledge or experience? There are commercially available counter top fryers available and maybe that's the way to go but for a lot more money.

Edit: Frying is mostly small batch stuff, chicken wings, fish, maybe some fries type of thing. Not turkeys or anything like that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you're intended use (i.e. large volume vs. small volume), but I've been using a 4-quart pot with a fry basket insert. I've had good experience with it, but the one catch is that it takes some time in order to fry large quantities.

This is very similar, if not the same one, that I purchased a few years ago.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Paula-Deen-Signature-Stainless-4-Quart/dp/B001CX8D1C"]Amazon.com: Paula Deen Signature Stainless Steel 4-Quart Fryer with Basket and Lid: Deep Fryers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DMWkAmSZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DMWkAmSZL[/ame]

I've always used the Waring Pro fryers and I have never had any issues with them keeping up. I think the main issue that I've seen time and time again is that people tend to overfill the fryers which is why there can be such a long recovery time. Don't fill the basket more than 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way full and you shouldn't have any issues.

I have no issues with mine But I tend to think "outside the box" ( Dual meaning. the house & mainstream) as well. Turkey fryer and a DO Purchased at Walfarts, SS spider 1.00 at Academy sports. No temp issues.

I bought this years ago.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06006-Kitchen-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B002JM202I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421077637&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+soup+pot"]Amazon.com: Presto 06006 Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker/Steamer: Deep Fryers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419J%2BGiHJJL.@@AMEPARAM@@419J%2BGiHJJL[/ame]
I use it mostly for making soup and stews.
However, I also deep fry in it.
Oil never goes above 425-ish so its reasonably safe.
Easy to maintain temps.

It all depends on what you want.....

If you are looking for electric, your choices are limited in the consumer market, but yes commercial electric fryers are available at a much higher price. Commercial countertop fryer at $375.00 from restaurant suppliers, the same unit lists for $540.00 on Amazon..

There is also the pot and a strainer on the stove, but safety is a must. They also sell outdoor burners for deep fryers which are somewhat safer than one inside the home. The fire is contained outside the home if something goes wrong.. Outside Burners from Camp-Chef come in single, double, and triple burner models.

It's a matter of safety, choice, and what room you have available..

Im not a fan of the cheap big box fryers. Since i dont fry often i just use a cast iron dutch oven when i do. Works better than the last cheapo fryer i had.

I have both an electric home counter top model and a yet to be used turkey fryer with a smaller fish and chips basket.

The electric one is this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-05462-Digital-ProFry-Immersion-Element/dp/B000H91DF0/ref=lp_289918_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1421086351&sr=1-14"]Amazon.com: Presto 05462 Digital ProFry Immersion-Element 9-Cup Deep Fryer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417pWb42tyL.@@AMEPARAM@@417pWb42tyL[/ame] I used it last night to cook some hot chips, but it's also cooked fish and chips, chiko rolls, dim sims, potato scallops and seafood sticks. Works like a champ, but it does stink up the kitchen a bit.

I do like the looks of counter top model from a restaurant supplier though...good enough for a small restaurant/cafe, good enough for my home.

I have a Presto fryed much like the on in bikerma's chef You Tube. It woks really we for small frying. I even did me some Hooter's wings a few weeks ago using their coatings and sauce. Turned out great but didn't have the scenery so wasn't quite the same. I use a different rig for big cooks. I fry alot of turkey around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I fried 19 turkeys for Thanksgiving this year and 7 more at Christmas. I use a Bayou Classic patio stove for the burner. I didn't like the small pots Bayou sells so a few years ago I ordered a large stainless pot from a kitchen warehouse on line, Its pretty large and holds about 8 Gals of oil. I only put 6 gals in it for frying birds. I have a smaller pot for fish and fries. Like the You Tube Chef said peanut oil is the only way to go. They can be messy only problem is you start looking around to see what else you can fry. I even have a deep fry cook book with 101 recipes. I haven't tried them all yet. Good luck on your frying.

I picked up a fish fryer at Bass Pro Shops when they were on sale for maybe 30 bucks. Outdoor fryer for sure, but it works like a champ. As mentioned before, frying indoors just stinks the place up and seems to linger for a day or two in my house, so I was banished to the backyard for any sort of frying.

I'm not sure you're intended use (i.e. large volume vs. small volume), but I've been using a 4-quart pot with a fry basket insert. I've had good experience with it, but the one catch is that it takes some time in order to fry large quantities.

This is very similar, if not the same one, that I purchased a few years ago.

Amazon.com: Paula Deen Signature Stainless Steel 4-Quart Fryer with Basket and Lid: Deep Fryers: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm worried it's only rated for 350degrees F. I would typically be frying at 375 minimum.

I've always used the Waring Pro fryers and I have never had any issues with them keeping up. I think the main issue that I've seen time and time again is that people tend to overfill the fryers which is why there can be such a long recovery time. Don't fill the basket more than 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way full and you shouldn't have any issues.

The Waring Pro 280 I think it is, got the best review out of all of them but still said it had problems getting to 375 and maintaining.

Funny I saw this I just used mine. I have a Turkey fryer and it works great for everything I ended up throwing the small home fryer I had away. To change or filter the oil it has a removable tube in the back. In fact I am letting the oil cool a little bit then I am going to change the oil. The smaller fryers seam to lose temp and sometimes stink the house up when used

I have that same fryer, but with push buttons and not the knob. It is a Euro Pro. Works great and very easy to take apart and clean
I have an older version of the same thing.
It is a Rival branded one. Got it from my son when he moved out of town. It really works great for small fries. Holds a little more than a gallon of oil, once it get to temp, holds real well.

Back