Another ABT question

B

bbqjoe

When using jalapenos, is it necessary to remove the outter skin?
Has anyone tried it? Or is it too much of a pain?
Gonna make some tomorrow using the rangoon style filling I saw in another thread.

bbqjoe said:
Has anyone tried it? Or is it too much of a pain?
Gonna make some tomorrow using the rangoon style filling I saw in another thread.

Joe:

No, do not bother for sure. The skin softens, not hardens. Not at all like a fire roasted anaheim, for example.

And, because you are really smoking them low, and they are covered by bacon, it would not blister or harden in any case.

For the record, soem people here claim they get done in an hour. Mine go for two or longer at least.

Same here, Joe. The only thing I take off is the seeds. Sometimes... :biggrin:

Unless you blister the skins, then they become bitter.

Types of chilis

Can anyone list types of chilis you could use for ABT's and their relative hotness? I want to make different ones but also buy the best to use.

My wife is a weenie when it comes to anything with a Scoville rating higher than that of watered-down generic ketchup so when I do ABT's for her, I use small sweet peppers stuffed with shrimp, cream cheese, or cheddar.

Seems like it defeats the purpose of an ABT but hey, she eats boiled peanuts too and I have never understood that either.

She turns the ABT into a WBF (Wimpie Buffalo Fart.)

Gup

Norcoredneck said:
Can anyone list types of chilis you could use for ABT's and their relative hotness? I want to make different ones but also buy the best to use.

Below is a table showing the Scoville Heat Rating for various peppers.
Scoville Heat Rating
Peppers
Heat Rating

Bell/Pimento
Cherry/Pepperoncini
100 - 500
New Mexico
500 - 1000
Poblano/Ancho/Pasilla
1000 - 1500
Rocotillo/Numex Big Jim
1500 - 2500
Jalapeno/Mirasol
2500 - 5000
Chipotle/Yellow Wax/Serrano
5000 - 15000
Manzano/De Arbol
15000 - 30000
Cayenne/Tabasco
30000 - 50000
Thai/Piquin
50000 - 100,000
Habanero/Scotch Bonnet/Birds Eye
100,000 - 350,000
Red Savina Habanero
350,000 - 600,000
Pure Capsaicin
16 Million​

Brian's chart doesn't show Anaheim peppers, which I think are great in ABTs. They're about the same heat level as a Poblano.

Arlin

I've done some Poblano, Yellow Wax, and Serrano versions. All were good.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Brian's chart doesn't show Anaheim peppers, which I think are great in ABTs. They're about the same heat level as a Poblano.

Arlin
poblano abt's??? that sounds more like a meal. :-D

I cut the big peppers into three pieces and stuff 'em separately. You sure COULD do a massive loaf though!

Fresno peppers are one of my favorites... Just a bit hotter than a jap, great color and good flavor. I like the flavor or these better than japs, and they lend themselves to more euro type flavors than japs do.

bbqjoe said:
Had the same question right as I was starting with everything assembled.

Started to wonder if, from the other thread, the phrase "remove the membrane" actually meant to de-skin or peel the outside.

Then, when I tried that and saw what a pain it would be to de-skin each jalapeno, I decided it couldn't possible mean that! :grin: .

"Removing the membrane" applies to the backs of ribs, not pepper skins. :)

I've done habanero's just cause I had a couple laying around and while the cooking takes out a lot of the heat, it doesn't take out all of it. The name also changes from ABT's to ADT's....Atomic Dragon Turds.

I've been trying to come up with a better name than turds. Turds, poop, etc. just doesn't look good on a menu.
Don't have one yet.

I wouldn't change it for the world, except to change the buffalo to the dragon. I like the novelty of the Turd and you get some creative reasons they are called that.
I have peopple ask me for "more of those turd things" and I just smile and say sure

Does anyone have a suggestion for some meat other than Pork to cap off a ABT with? My wife promissed her brother in-law I would Q for him. After telling me, I reminded her of his religion (Muslim).

Chicken would work fine. Season according to the type of pepper (Tex Mex for japs, maybe italian for fresnos), dice it up, add it to some grated cheese, and away you go.

Back