The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Rib trimmings

I followed these instructions to trim ribs,
http://www.bbqjunkie.com/archives/20...ribs/#more-251
Any pointers on cooking trimmings?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Bigmista

Put them in with the ribs. They will finish quicker because they are smaller. That way you bcan taste what's happening and make adjustments if necessary.

2 - FEC 240
Pitmaker Vault
Medium Spicewine

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 04:09 AM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I will cook them just as I do my ribs (same method). I like to sauce them and pull the meat. It makes great sandwiches. Sometimes if I am cooking beans along with my ribs I will use the chopped rib trimmings to add to my beans.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Cook's treats. My family thinks I throw them away!! JK, I cook 'em right along side of the ribs and bring 'em in to quiet the "when are the ribs gonna be ready" grumbles.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

I add the skirt meat to the beans. I usually cook the tips just like the rest of the ribs. I strongly recommend cooking spares "untrimmed." I find that the tips end up going to waste alot. If you leave them on the rib, people will eat them. Many Tejans just leave them whole to get "Tejas" sized spares! It is strictly an appearance issue.
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodman
I add the skirt meat to the beans. I usually cook the tips just like the rest of the ribs. I strongly recommend cooking spares "untrimmed." I find that the tips end up going to waste alot. If you leave them on the rib, people will eat them. Many Tejans just leave them whole to get "Tejas" sized spares! It is strictly an appearance issue.
I'll buy that.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Man Thirdeye Them Ribs Look So Good I'am Shutting Down The Computer To Go Get Some Right Now.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I disagree that it's just an appearance thing. I prefer trimming them first, and I use the trimmed rib ends for beans and additions to other recipes (ABTs, armadillo eggs, etc). But as part of the rib left on, people have to deal with the cartilege at the end of the ribs, and some people don't care for that. When you trim, all they have to deal with is the bone.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

The spares cook more evenly with the "extras" trimmed off too. And they NEVER go to waste around here, they're always gone before the ribs are even done.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
I disagree that it's just an appearance thing. I prefer trimming them first, and I use the trimmed rib ends for beans and additions to other recipes (ABTs, armadillo eggs, etc). But as part of the rib left on, people have to deal with the cartilege at the end of the ribs, and some people don't care for that. When you trim, all they have to deal with is the bone.
Well, they do make a nice addition to other dishes, but when you have 35 tips , it becomes tiresome to take them home, pull the meat, and vac pac it! If you are telling me that folks won't eat them, I don't buy it! It is a "little" inconvenient, but in no way affects the taste or texture of the finished product. I usually explain to folks that they are "whole spares" and have never had a complaint! To each his own though.
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes I do it before, sometimes I do it after. But as for trimming my spareribs, I do what is necessary to make them fit on the racks of my SKD. After this past weeks cook, I need to reconcider how I trim and place the ribs in the smoke chamber. I think trimming up may be a better option for me to allow a smaller package on multiple levels. I usually just trimmed the small end off and placed it on the racks. I think the next time, I'll try the rib rack again before I do the St Louis trim job on them. My wife likes my ribs no matter how they look as ong as I keep using the same rub on it. She's actually requesting me to cook them now.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
Bigdog

I do them both ways, but this time I did them untrimmed using the rib rack I bought from Ron and they came out the best ever. Fit just fine in the rack. Did only 3, but that rack has room for up to 5. Cooked for 6 hours and did not foil. Used 3 different rubs and the best one was that cherry chipole stuff that I got at the last bash. Perfect balance of sweet and hot. The only problem with the rub is that it tends to chump up in the jar.

As for rib trimmings, I bought a 10 lb box of them from the grocery and cooked them with the ribs. They were all about the same size and cooked up great in about 2 hours. As kc said, they satisfied the masses until the ribs were done. They also gave me an excuse to try out several rib rubs at the same time.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Jorge

Quote:
If it's at home, what the dreaded Buckeye said I may trim the skirt but I won't do a St. Louis cut for home consumption.

PS You giving points Woody?

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #14
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

Well, they do make a nice addition to other dishes, but when you have 35 tips , it becomes tiresome to take them home, pull the meat, and vac pac it! If you are telling me that folks won't eat them, I don't buy it! It is a "little" inconvenient, but in no way affects the taste or texture of the finished product. I usually explain to folks that they are "whole spares" and have never had a complaint! To each his own though.
If you're talking that kind of quantity, then you have me there! Not worth the effort, unless you just buy st. louis cut to begin with. I'm not saying people won't eat them... But given the choice, I know my family prefers not to have the whole rib.

Jorge, I hadn't thought of points yet... But it should be a great game coming up, however it pans out!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote