拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #16
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Could someone explain more on the Hollywood cut, how to or what it looks like.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #17
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cliff, welcome to competition judging. :) The 5 got thrown out, but it probably means a judge just didn't like something about it... Maybe a spice you used didn't agree with them... hard to tell. Remember, they start at 6 and go from there (assuming it was KCBS)... so if it was less tasty than that judge expected, a 5 would be the next one down.

SloppyQ, hollywood cut is whe you take a rib and cut all the meat between it and the next bones... Those bones would be trimmed close to the bone, so there's no meat to turn in with them, but there's almost double the meet on the rib getting the hollywood cut (I've also heard it called competition or double cut).

Out of 7 entries I judged last weekend (first time judging), only one was cut that way, and no one at our table thought it helped at all. The presentation wasn't as good as the others because of it, I think.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyQ
Could someone explain more on the Hollywood cut, how to or what it looks like.
From my understanding, hollywood cut is, instead of cutting in between the bones and having meat on both sides, you cut from the same side of the bones down the whole rack. This gives the sample alot of meat on one side,and minimal on the other. risky, becase the side with no(little) meat can tear on the first bite and the whole chunk of meat comes off the bone.

curt, your description turns in 2 bones or one??

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #19
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Just the opposite Phil, I believe it's one bone with the meat from both sides turned in on it. I liked the way you described better. Yes there is some risk, but the ribs I saw looked good in the box. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #20
cmcadams

Here's my take on the cuts... The first is Hollywood, Double or Competition, the next is whatever Phil said , and the last is what I would consider the standard, cut half way between each bone.

Phil, it would be a one-bone per piece turn in, with the all the meat from both sides of each bone. It results in just under half the ribs being usable (actually int((n-1)/2) or something like that).

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #21
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Default Learn from my mistakes

Attachment 3300

These ribs placed 9th out of 41 in Greenwood, SC. The appearance scores were all 8's (all six judges). Notice the white on the edge of the ribs that didn't get sauced or covered with parsley, that's the difference between 8 and 9. 9's in appearance would have placed me two or three notches higher(maybe more). By the way these ribs are cut in the style of "What Jim Said" on cmcadams previous post.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts

Last edited by butts; 09-09-2006 at 08:24 PM..
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
cmcadams

Not to be a jerk, but I'd suspect the issue was as much covering ribs with parsley as anything. Was there a reason to put it on top of some of the ribs? If I were judging it, I'd probably think that the cook was really trying to hide those, but trying to get enough ribs in the box.

Livefire Whisky

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #23
butts
Full Fledged Farker

I suppose a different approach to plating (placing in the box). I've never had bad scores with this box, although I've never had straight 9's either. So, you might be on to something. By the way, the ribs on the bottom are the same as the ribs on the top, not hiding anything.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #24
cmcadams

I'm not saying you are hiding anything... Just thinking of what I might think if I were judging.

I just looked back at our presentations on ribs... the last time, I think it was pretty good, but someone else, without me knowing it, turned the ribs to show the sides a bit. It was too late to change it... but I really didn't want that :( I think we would have scored better with just 2 layers of 5 ribs each.

Livefire Whisky

Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #25
thunderbelly
On the road to being a farker

From looking at those two pics, I would say butts' picture if he moved the parsley to the outside of the top row would be the higher score from me (not a trained judge though), I agree with cmcadams that is not the way I would want my ribs turned in either, there is just something about seeing the cut edge

Oaklahoma Joe trailer rig
WSM
Traeger 70
ECB starter model
thunderbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Alot of Certified Judges will look for the smoke ring on the cut side of the rib. Showing the cut side isn't always bad.

Fredbird: Why aren't you chimeing in on this post?? You have scored pretty good on ribs!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #27
Greatgrills
Full Fledged Farker

We always place six down and then 2 more on the sides to show the smoke ring. Seem to do pretty good with that.

Mark and Becky
Great Grills O' Fire
Homemade Smoker
22 1/2" WSM for chicken
WSMx2 for when I make my own team
And lots of beer drinkin
Greatgrills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Certified judges are instructed not to judge based on the smoke ring because it can be chemically produced. I realize this more specifically applies to brisket, but just the same . . . . If certified judges are scoring entries based on the smoke ring and telling about it, they should be reported. Seriously.

I don't want to take anything away from folks who score well with ribs on their sides. I think we all try to do what works for us. I guess if nothing else, it shows that there is more than one right way . . . .

Rod

P.S. - In addition to the Hollywood cut, I personally think that the double cut rib is a waste unless it is important to you that the judges take-home ziplock is full . . . .

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #29
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

cmcadams thanks for the hollywood cut clarification.
Butts, according to Ed Roith at CBJ class parsley was good but don't hide the meat, to him it takes away from the meat I would do same presentation again but I would tuck the parsley down more. Still looks good.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #30
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Rod: Who are you to tell people what is right or wrong with ribs!!!

No Really!! You are Kickin' some Major Butt this year!! You gotta be doing somthin' right!!

You have our respect!! Team Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
Certified judges are instructed not to judge based on the smoke ring because it can be chemically produced. I realize this more specifically applies to brisket, but just the same . . . . If certified judges are scoring entries based on the smoke ring and telling about it, they should be reported. Seriously.

I don't want to take anything away from folks who score well with ribs on their sides. I think we all try to do what works for us. I guess if nothing else, it shows that there is more than one right way . . . .

Rod

P.S. - In addition to the Hollywood cut, I personally think that the double cut rib is a waste unless it is important to you that the judges take-home ziplock is full . . . .

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007