THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

savageford

is one Smokin' Farker
Put the mini WSM to work, no diffuser, half a chimney (the small weber chimney) of Kingsford Competition, a chunk of apple wood, and let her rip. Rubbed the thighs with mayo and seasoned with mcormicks chicken rub. I put the pieces on at 300 and let it go up to 425 for half hour then flipped skin side down for about 10 minutes. It was some of the best chicken I have had in a while.

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

Great! Was it Montreal Chicken you used? I love that stuff!

I haven't used my mini in a while - I need to fire that thing up!

Nice chix there!

The heat is absolutely the big ticket item here. I do chickens two ways.

One way is to simply crank out the Weber kettle grill, grill the chicken over direct heat, turning often, until the skin is nicely rendered and crisp, then move the pieces to the indirect side, and add some nice chunks of smokin' wood. Always gets great results.

Other way would be to do the same thing with the Weber, then move the chicken over to whatever other real smoker you like to use.

A third way, the "cheater way," would be to pan fry the chicken pieces in an iron skillet in about 1/2" of oil/grease (no, you don't flour the silly thing) until the skin gets rendered and crisp. Then outside to the smoker.

Lots of flavor whichever way, and solves the skin.

Yeah, I know, not exactly "two" ways, but what the heck...

Oh, yeah - the fourth way - do just like savageford did and cook super HNF. If it works inside in the oven, it'll work outside in the smoker.

Last edited:
Back