The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_man22
R-C is trash can food compared to Gibsons and Salt Island. Salt Island is also one of the few places that the OL will get sea food. The problem with most place are that they don't use enough heat. At Gibsons the grills are burning at 1500 to 1800. I did not check Salt Island but they must be in the ++1500 range.

I'm lucky to get into the 800 range to cook my steaks, they are more like mistakes, when you compare them.
Trout.. I thought about this when i first got the steak.... the first thing i noticed was the lack of a hard seer on Salt islands steak. The outside was slightly seered but still soft. Maybe they quick seer and then cook slower in a cooler spot. I dont think am (extended) high (>800*) temp cook would have allowed the great smoke penetration. It wasnt one of those charred outside, pink inside styles that I (try to) do at home. Dont know what they did, but they did it right. Next time, we need to stand next to the grill and watch.

On a possible thread split...

Have you tried to grill steaks over a heavy bed of mesquite, oak or hickory coals.?? not charcoal, but all wood chunks, several inches thick... maybe with some lump??

My gasser wont get over 700-800* either... but I have sucessfully gotten some real heavy seers with a heavy wood coalbed in my kettle or BYC fireboxn. Takes a while to burn down the wood and the fire is BIG to start with. Then it cooks the steaks in a few minutes with a hard char outside, pink or red inside.... not saying its what S.I. does.. its my at home technique. I was always of the school of cook thick steaks fast and hard. Think i may try the close up quick hard seer, then raise the grill way up to the top to finish and see what happens.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Have you tried to grill steaks over a heavy bed of mesquite, oak or hickory coals.?? not charcoal, but all wood chunks, several inches thick... maybe with some lump??

My gasser wont get over 700-800* either... but I have sucessfully gotten some real heavy seers with a heavy wood coalbed in my kettle or BYC fireboxn. Takes a while to burn down the wood and the fire is BIG to start with. Then it cooks the steaks in a few minutes with a hard char outside, pink or red inside.... not saying its what S.I. does.. its my at home technique. I was always of the school of cook thick steaks fast and hard. Think i may try the close up quick hard seer, then raise the grill way up to the top to finish and see what happens.
I prefer steaks cooked over mesquite so I do it regularly. It's better to have a lot of meat to cook 'cause you burn a lot of wood for only a few minutes of grilling!

Also, the thicker steaks are better suited to the hot farking fire you're going to get. I'd recommend you get them at least an inch thick, if not thicker, then sear those bad boys on a flameless bed of 'squite coals. Man, makes me drool thinking about it...

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
I prefer steaks cooked over mesquite so I do it regularly. It's better to have a lot of meat to cook 'cause you burn a lot of wood for only a few minutes of grilling!...

i meant to say that.. it takes 30--40 minutes to prep the coalbed, then everything is cooked in 3-4 mins... I take Four or five logs, and a chop saw.. and make lots of chunnks.. first i cut 2 inch thick wheels of the logs then split into quarters and burn them down on a chimney of prestarted lump. It speeds think up a little.

Also, so i dont feel guilty, I take advantange of the fire and throw some chicken thighs, breasts and sausages in the chamber for lunches while we eat the steaks.. then ya have an excuse to go back out and tend fire for a little while finishing up the chicken.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

There ya go.

I think I'll try my first thread splitting here. I don't remember seeing a steak thread before...

EDIT: Cooool.

OK - how do YOU cook steak?

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
qman
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Oak chunks burned down to a hot bed of coals. Steak seared then moved to cooler part of grill to finish off, still over the oak coals.
I go with 1 1/2 inch thick cut as a minimum.
I would love to have one of those Santa Maria Grills like sammi got, just to cook steaks on. Man, the control you have with that thing.

Arlin, I like mesquite for grilling too, it is just that oak is our main cooking wood here, so for me it is either real cheap or usually real free.

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

I've found that if I pepper about 30 min. before I cook, but don't salt until right before I put it on the grill I get a much better seer. If you salt in advance, it draws moisture to the surface and keeps a good crust from forming.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
bbqjoe
Banned

How do I cook steaks???
I don't.
Raw on a cold plate is just fine for me

Tonight will be some thick ribeyes on the webber kettle with some hickory.
1 mr
1 mw
1 MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
I don't remember seeing a steak thread before...
Here's some of Phil's earlier work on high temp that I use not only on steaks, but also thick cut pork chops:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16293

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I agree with 1 1/2" minimum, when I can catch the butcher cutting, I have him cut them at 2".

I don't have a very functional charcoal grill set up so I have to go with the gasser. The "new" gasser doesn't heat up like the old cheapy with lava rocks so I do the best I can by preheating with a sheet of HD foil over the cooking grates. I cook over the hottest spots for about 90 sec per side twice to get the nice "crosshatch grillmarks" then kill all the heat except what's heating the cherry and/or hickory chunks.
Steaks go indirect with the smoke until they feel like med-rare when given the finger.
Rest for 5-7 mins while I prep my baked potato and dress my salad.

Then I eat tooo dammed much, then I sit on my ass tooo much and grin like Buddah
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I believe a good steak should be about an inch and a half thick and given a quarter of a turn after a few minutes to get those great grill marks but turned over only once during the whole cooking process cooked to med. rare.

With plenty of ketchup!!

Just kidding!!

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

I can get a pretty good cross-hatch with my Weber genesis B. I do miss the gas salamander I had in my old apartment. Steak from COSTCO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grillii2.jpg (78.3 KB, 339 views)

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Trout.. I thought about this when i first got the steak.... the first thing i noticed was the lack of a hard seer on Salt islands steak. The outside was slightly seered but still soft. Maybe they quick seer and then cook slower in a cooler spot. I dont think am (extended) high (>800*) temp cook would have allowed the great smoke penetration. It wasnt one of those charred outside, pink inside styles that I (try to) do at home. Dont know what they did, but they did it right. Next time, we need to stand next to the grill and watch.

On a possible thread split...

From what I understand the places like S-I and Gibsons will put the smoke on first then place it in the HOT!!!! area, this gets the flavor and then the char. I like a heavy char and rare others in the family like their burnt. I really don't know how they do it because I have never been able to get the heat up that high and two I have never been invited into the "back room" to watch them grill my steak.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
Ron_L

I use a method that I first saw on a TV cooking show. It was orignially done on a Weber kettle, but I've adapted it to my gasser as well (out of laziness). I start out with the steaks over the hottest fire I can get and sear them for two minutes per side. Then I move them away from the fire and cook indirect for 5 minutes on the first side and 6 minutes on the second. For a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick steak this is medium rare every time.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
bbqjoe
Banned

I might just have to post some webber pics tonight.
Look out!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I get whole sirlons cut to 1 & 1/4" thick. Vac pack em 2 to a bag and freeze.

When it's time to cook I go with KISS. I use the Weber with a full chimney of Kingsford. I let the steaks acclimate to room temp and hit rub them with freshly ground garlic pepper and ground sea salt.

I seer them on each side and take them off at medium. Let them rest then enjoy.

Great thread.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote