喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 2014 Camping Challenge

Going camping/fishing August 9-11th. Camp check-in is 3 PM on Saturday and check out is 3 PM Monday. So I need the following

Saturday dinner
Sunday breakfast
Sunday lunch
Sunday dinner
Monday lunch

5 meals

Your equipment:

A crappy brinkman smoke n go
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann...1?N=5yc1vZbx92

A campfire!!!

A cast iron 10" skillet!!!

You provide the meat/dish ideas. I attempt to cook them and provide glorious photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonus ingrediants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oakridge BBQ Black Ops and HDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike-cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Last time I went camping, I made pecan smoked bourbon pecan pie, a lamb loaf, some naked breakfast fatties, and some chicken thighs.

Go for a meatloaf. Make it up ahead of time and vac-seal it ready for the smoker.

For breakfast, do some naked fatties and biscuits. Add eggs in the CI if you like.

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

You gotta be cooking some fish!
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

Peeps, a lamb loaf, is that a ground lamb?

Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-cleveland View Post
Litle Bo Peep has lost her sheep, and now we know where it wound up! "BAD FORM" dad!

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
rumproastiltskin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok - I'm in.

Meat: 3 lb Chuck roast, whole chicken, plenty of eggs (as many as you'll eat), 4 lbs bacon, 2lbs sausage, and as many pork ribs as you think you can eat. Also fish - go ahead order some House Autry breading if you can't get it nearby (Amazon). Breading as mentioned here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=188298

Saturday dinner. Apply dry rub to the chuck roast and let it sit while you set up camp. Find some oak/hickory/maple trees and grab some green twigs. Fire up your Brinkmann, throw in the twigs, and grill your chuck until it feels done the way you like it. Eat what you can and save the rest for tacos.

Sunday breakfast. Hopefully you rolled a bug fatty before you left. Throw that on the brinkman, fry up fine eggs, pack your lunch, and go fishing.

Sunday lunch. Slice up your leftover chuck and foil it. Chop some onions and cilantro and mix in some grease left over from your fatty - foil the mix. Take some tortillas and cholula and go fishing. If you want your tacos hot, take your cast iron abd plan to build a fire - but only heat the tortillas and the meat ad the rest should be cold.

Sunday dinner. If you caught fish, bread, fry, enjoy. If not - beer can chicken. Take can, insert in chicken's personal space, throw on brinkman until done.

Monday Breakfast. Ribs. Get up early, make ribs, go fish. Also, you probably have fatty leftover - enjoy.

Monday lunch. Bread and fry those fish. Eat leftovers.
rumproastiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-cleveland View Post
you can google for various recipes. I used a 50/50 mix of ground lamb and ground chuck with some herbs and spices. Smoked to an IT of 165 and sliced thin into pita bread with tzatziki, onions, and tomatos if you like them...

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

^^^^^That sounds good, Peeps!

Where ya camping Mike?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
^^^^^That sounds good, Peeps!
It was.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
thirdeye

I try to make several meals ahead of time to simply save cooler space, reduce garbage.... and have something very un-camping-like. These are either vacuum sealed and transferred to aluminum pans for reheating on campfire coals, or frozen in aluminum pans. Things like enchaladias, lasagna, chicken-n-noodles, Norco's Mom Rice to name a few.

I like cooking breakfast fresh and always seem to opt for breakfast burritos, they are just so easy and goooood. All the fixins like diced ham, sausage, bacon, onions, peppers, hash browns, cheese etc., are all prepped and in separate zipper baggies. This way folks can pretty much get exactly what they want in theirs. A couple of pre-smoked fatties can be sliced and heat up easily to serve on the side. A handfull of blueberries or other fruit and a bloody Mary round it out.

I will take one or two items to grill... like steaks or chops (usually boneless ones) and my sides like potatoes, veggies and such are usually cooked hobo-style in foil pouches at the edge of the fire pit. Of course I do have a cast iron skillet, some corn meal fish fry and some oil to fry trout, and I can use some of the burrito toppings if I opt to cook trout in foil pouches.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
reflynn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well Mike I can't go camping anymore without making my Mnt Man Breakfast

Start with frying up the 2 lb bacon in the 12 Qt dutch oven,
remove bacon leave grease, add 1/4" - 1/2" chunks of red skin taters, about 5 lbs +/- fry till brown or browning, add 1 finely diced green pepper, 1/2 finely diced red and yellow pepper, seasoning, mix well, now add bacon back to the mix, and pour in 1 - 1 1/2 dozen beat and seasoned eggs, continue mixing till egg mixture is cooked, add 1 lb cheese ( I preffer a nice shredded extra sharp cheddar), mix thouroughly and serve. Warning no-one leaves table with empty stomach.
reflynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I have a pretty good list of items to cook and will be incorporating the following:

Mains:
- Chuck roast (going to probably go with a nice thick 7 bone)
- Bacon (it goes with everything)
- Some sort of fatty meatloaf hybrid
- No one mentioned sausage but it will be there (besides a fatty)
- Fish (market availability)

Sides:
- Hash/potato dish
- eggs
- corn
- beans/chili
- Cheese in something or everything
- something with onions
- Sausage gravy

I will be shopping and prepping Friday.

Oh, almost forgot, we will be camping on the Ohio side of the Pymatuning campground.

Last edited by mike-cleveland; 08-06-2014 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot to respond to question

Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

breakfast: fatty and omelettes in a bag
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

There will be a chicken dish for the vegetarians.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #15
bwodun
Knows what a fatty is.

the first night i usually make a rabbit ragu over polenta, then the next morning the left over polenta gets fried in a pound of rendered bacon fat, then fry the eggs sunnyside up and serve family style, yummy