bbq chicken

davidee

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
hey everyone, my name is Dave and im new to the forum. i was hoping to find some helpful info for different kinds of bbq recipes and it looks like there is plenty of knowledge here. Anyway i have what i call is a charcoal pig cooker that a friend built for me and i have been pulling it around cookin for friends and family for different gatherings and really enjoy it. But everyone is wanting me to make porta pit style chicken and i have tried different recipes but none seem to have just the right flavor. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me (a newbie) a shove in the right direction. thanks for any advice!

Also is there a reason why I cannot get onto the recipe section of this forum or am i not doing something right, thanks again.

As far as the chicken I can't help? Sorry.... But WELCOME to the brethren and only subscribers can get into the recipe section.

Sorry.... But WELCOME to the brethren and only subscribers can get into the recipe section.

That's not true. Anyone can get to the recipe section.

Dave, the recipe link is hidden to prevent spam. It will come up on screen for you near the top of the page once you have a few posts and will stay up for 50 posts. If you miss it you can PM a moderator and we'll send it to you.

BBQ chicken for the masses two different but similar recipes come to mind both are equally delicious.
Do a Google search for "Cornell chicken" the other is "Rodside chicken"

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old Worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usually add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce

wow! thanks for all the response so quick, I can already tell this is a amazing site with alot of knowledge. I know already i can learn alot here and i cant wait.
the recipes i have been tryin are all vinegar based but i keep tryin different ingredients and they have all been good but just not exactly what kind of porta pit taste we have here in statesville nc. at least nobody has complained about my cooking yet so im blessed so far.
thanks again guys!

oh yea, by the way it is hard for me to marinade alot of chicken halves so i have just been basting every 45 mins or so for about 4 hrs low and slow with charcoal. does that sound right?

BBQ chicken for the masses two different but similar recipes come to mind both are equally delicious.
Do a Google search for "Cornell chicken" the other is "Rodside chicken"

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old Worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usually add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce

Yep. Hard to beat Roadside chicken! I cook mine on my UDS with charcoal basket elevated with a cinder block, but yes, absolutely would be good on a WSM using high heat.

Chicken cooks better at higher temps. Say 350 plus for an hour and a half to two hours (165*IT)

oh yea, by the way it is hard for me to marinade alot of chicken halves so i have just been basting every 45 mins or so for about 4 hrs low and slow with charcoal. does that sound right?

The whole process of Roadside chicken, not just the recipe, is to baste frequently. I do mine every 5 minutes. It helps build up a solid layer of flavor on the chicken.

Tried this recipe twice last summer and my family/friends thought it was awesome. I need to do it again.

If you are just using charcoal, include a few chunks of pecan.

Back