ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
under10minutes
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Controller Advice

Morning folks. I'm in need of guidance.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a controller and was hoping the community could give me a nudge.

I'm new to smoking. I love tech. I've done numerous overnight smokes which always lead to sleepless nights. The only competition I would take part in would be on a local level. Looking for controller to help me level out the temp on my WSMs.

I currently own a WSM 18 & 22 and use the Maverick 733 to gauge temp and meat. Day to day cooking is done on the 18 and the 22 is used in combo for larger "events".

I'm struggling on which Controller to purchase as well as what Smoker to retro fit it to. My gut says fit out the 22 because the adapter can probably fit over the 18 as well (where as the 18 adapter might not cover the 22).

My research makes me think there's no bad option, just a decision that needs to be made. Would love to get some advice from the folks hoof ( ) used the items before or have been in my shoes.

Thank you in advance!
under10minutes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
aks801
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by under10minutes View Post
... Looking for controller to help me level out the temp on my WSMs....
For reals? I'm new to the WSM world, having done only two smokes with my new 22, but that thing seems to settle in on a temp and rock steady.

Tech is great, gadgets are great, but I think you are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Just my $.02, brother.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

I own the DigiQ DX2 and use an adapter for my WSM 22.5 and a 2" ball valve adapter for my Lone Star Grillz. I use a 10 CFM fan for the Weber and 25 CFM fan for the big smoker.
It works well but only has one food probe. I am thinking about upgrading to a CyberQ Wifi which has three food probes and can also be set up to monitor from your computer or Android device.
I have a Maverick 733 but stopped using it because of erratic pit temps.
I have no experience with the Stoker controller.

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
spedly

I have a CyberQ WiFi. I like being able to check on the pit from anywhere over WiFi and the food probes are nice but I've stopped using it for controlling the pit. It always seemed to choke the fire and cause me to oversmoke the food.

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been using Guru DigiQ DX2 on my 22" WSM for 2 years now. It will hold any temp you want. This works great for me as I never use food probes, just pit probes. If you need more probes, the CyberQ as mentioned above has more probes. Guru has been spot on, and as jrben1, I use it on my cabinet smoker as well.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tech is fine but i'd keep it out of the BBQ world....I agree it's not needed for something like the WSM. I am a recovering BBQ techie myself. Plus or minus 25* or so will not hurt anything.

Enjoy building a fire, tending your pit and get the satisfaction knowing you got the temp dialed in that can sustain the cook with no need for electronics. JMO
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post

Enjoy building a fire, tending your pit and get the satisfaction knowing you got the temp dialed in that can sustain the cook with no need for electronics. JMO
Love that idea, some day when I retire! But for now, I love my Arberins controller. Set it and go do another chore or two!
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

I have a WSM 22.5 and a Pitmaster IQ 120. I only use it for longer cooks and then only if I plan to get some sleep or have other work to do where I might not be paying as much attention to the grill.

The IQ connects over one of the lower vents of the WSM. I am pretty sure you could swap it between the 18.5 and the 22.5. There is no WiFi or bluetooth on it, just set the desired temp and it controls keeps it around there. I use a Maverick to give me a visual reference and an alarm in case something goes wrong. Hasn't yet.

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733
KCBS member

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
tdwalker
Full Fledged Farker

I have a PartyQ from BBQ Guru and love for the WSM. Only pit probe though. I just noticed it is no longer available.

Some help am I.

EDIT: "New PartyQ" available. http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/New%20PartyQ

22" WSM, 18.5" WSM, One-touch Silver, Chargriller Offset, Customized Red-Head Performer (under restoration), Gensis S-320 Gasser

Last edited by tdwalker; 07-31-2014 at 01:51 PM..
tdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
ITBFQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I also have the Guru DigiQ DX2 with 10 cm Pit Viper. I use it on my 18.5" WSM for longer, overnight cooks like pork. I usually cook those at 225, and it will hold rock steady all night long, so I am able to get some sleep with that added reassurance. I also rigged up an adapter for my UDS - figured I would keep it ugly instead of spend the money. Works great. I don't know if I would spend the money on a new one. Since mine came with the WSM (all for just $200!) it was like a bonus and I have been very happy with it. No issues at all.

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; DigiQ DX2; CharBroil Gasser; Maverick; OTS; etc.
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Evilram
Got rid of the matchlight.

I can't recommend the Stoker enough. It has the ability to run up to three pits, a huge plus with competitions. I have an 18 and a 22 running on the same computer.
Evilram is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
jimstocks53

The PartyQ is still available but has been changed from a one-piece unit. I think it may also be more expensive now at $150 with the adapter. Don't remember what I paid for mine but am very happy with it. I recharge 4 2A batteries and can easily go all night at 225 degrees.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
USMC
Full Fledged Farker

I've got the Pitmaster IQ120 and I swear it seems like it was made for the WSM. It will hold my temps steadier than the oven in the house. I also like that it not only has a probe to monitor and control my temps, but has an additional probe for monitoring my meat temps so no need for an additional device for that. You can even toggle the screen to switch back and forth between pit temp and meat temp every few seconds.

To any naysayers on controllers, it is the individual's preference as to how much piece of mind a person wants. I can sleep good during an all night cook knowing my Pitmaster has the conn!

Unread 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
s0upb0ne

Love my CyberQ Wifi. A pain to initially set up over Wifi, but it does an incredible job holding temps on my egg for long periods unattended.
s0upb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

JM2C if you need a ATC to make your WSM behave you need a Pellet pooper or Cook hotter, start later, for less time and sleep all night. I don't light a fire before 0700 and dinner is promptly at 1700hrs Butts brisket it don't matter.

Thanks from:--->