The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

Default My First Comp- Cape Girardeau, MO

I will be cooking in my first comp on Aug. 25 and 26 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Any pointers that some of you more experienced teams can offer will be greatly appreciated. It will be my Nephew and me doing it all. I'm sure we will get some help from our ladies. I get lots of compliments on my que so I'm just curious to see how it fair in the world of comp.

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slat
I will be cooking in my first comp on Aug. 25 and 26 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Any pointers that some of you more experienced teams can offer will be greatly appreciated. It will be my Nephew and me doing it all. I'm sure we will get some help from our ladies. I get lots of compliments on my que so I'm just curious to see how it fair in the world of comp.
do a practice cook at home outside complete with turn in boxes, turn in time schedule, etc.....
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
BBQPETE
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Make a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by slat
Make a list of everything you need, don`t wait til the last minute you will think of something every day and you will forget something.save the list for the next bbq contest
BBQPETE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Bill M's advise is dead on.... a practice cook for all categories under contest setting/equipment and timing will be a big help.

We had a full practice run from Sat morning to Sunday afternoon with everything outside except to use the restroom indoors.

It was very good... Luckily we had plenty of shorter practice cooks before (doing only one or two categories at a time) so we did not find ourselves going indoors for any supplies or food.

We've built a checklist adapting from others posted here (do a search for competition checklist if you need to refer to one) but we've been using our stuff for so long we did not really need it when we actually packed for the contest.

You'll only really need to do this once... just to work out any major kinks before you show up at the contest.

Also, if at all possible, visit a contest in your area beforehand and stick around a while to observe. Cooking with another experienced team as a helper might be good too if you know anyone in your area.

Good Luck !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
voodoobbqIL
Full Fledged Farker

organize your supplies ahead of time. Label everything so when you get out there you can set everything up and get comfortable about how things are laying out. Figure out during you practice how your smokers will layout and the best traffic flow for you, your team and any public that wonders by. Bring plenty of water to drink and clean with. And have plenty of small cleanup supplies, like clorox wipes and spray 409. Oh and this is one that I see many folks missing...fire extinguisher, it's the law in most places. Take a look around you kitchen and think of things you normally use and make sure you have them in your competition pack. Good luck and welcome to the competition pit!
Ole' Hickory CTO /
large BGE
2 x Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver (red , black)
Weber Smokey Joe
Char-Broil Gas Passer
voodoobbqIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Good Luck Slat! GIve em hell!!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Best of luck Slat.......and if you need an extension for the sewer line hook up for the trailer, give us a call!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll be sure to do that Kick. LOL

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Best of luck Brother Slat!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Go for it Slat! Don't forget to enjoy yourself, thats most important!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
parrothead

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

I just started competing this year, it'll hook ya! Remember to have fun and take the time to meet some of the great people out there on the circuit.

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
Wildcat
Full Fledged Farker

Cape Girardeau is not that far from where I live. I'll try to run up there and check it out. What do I look for to find you?? Good luck!!
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

The Cape G contest sounds fun, we'll be cooking the Roots festival in Paola that weekend.

I also agree with Vinny -- with one small change: If you have another contest in your area you can visit beforehand - Swing by early, before they are digging into contest meat, and make some aquaintances. Most folks are more than willing to share pointers. I know Jeff (Big Creek) was even able to get some great ones from Myron Mixon!

Then, once you have made some new friends - check out how they prep their turn in boxes when you swing through on Sat. morning. That seems to be the biggest "mystery" that alot of new teams ask us.... i.e. what do you do with all that farking parsley!!!

You can also see how different folks set up thier camps for traffic flow - or for averting traffic flow. How may prep tables.... table height, wash area, hot water, etc.. I think Jay has pics of the signs he posts during prep/turn-in time.... to keep the public out. Not sure the title of that thread.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Not much more I can add to the great advice you've gotten here so I'll just say "good luck" and if you have any questions about a rookie's perspective in all this, give me a shout. I'd be glad to help ya.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote