喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
greasy pork goodness
Found some matches.

Default Meat Quality

At my local grocery store there is always a couple of options for pork ribs. There is one labeled “moist and tender” or “moist and delicious” and the other has no such markings. It is simply pork spare ribs or pork ribs St. Louis. I asked the butcher what the difference was and he tells me the “moist and tender” are packaged in some kind of brine to make them more tender and juicy.

Now I tend to lean toward the most natural options whenever possible, but what do you all think? Brine bag meat or just regular meat?
greasy pork goodness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh Lord...

Please pray for this boy.....
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm in your camp,My sweet Ma GRHS tole me when I was a wee lad " Sonny boy don't be letin no one play wif your meat cause you know how you like it"

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
greasy pork goodness
Found some matches.

Uh oh Aussie - did I open a can here?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
sliding_billy

I have cooked the Kroger moist and tender with solid results (but certainly not any better than non-enhanced). The big problem is that you are paying for the water weight. It is just a marketing gimmick and a way to jack the price. They can taste a little off due to the brine/injections as well.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
greasy pork goodness
Found some matches.

Humm, the water weight - didn't even think about that

Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
landarc

I go with meat that has not been treated. I prefer to control the salt myself, and I feel the best meat texture and taste comes from non-enhanced meat. That being said, if it is done with just a very light brine, I am not sure I could tell the difference once it is cooked. The really heavy brined stuff is pretty noticeable

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Sevengoals
Full Fledged Farker

Go to your local butcher and get them naked.

Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
greasy pork goodness
Found some matches.

Oh those look nice!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I go with meat that has not been treated. I prefer to control the salt myself, and I feel the best meat texture and taste comes from non-enhanced meat. That being said, if it is done with just a very light brine, I am not sure I could tell the difference once it is cooked. The really heavy brined stuff is pretty noticeable
This ^^^^

Also, the enhanced meats, especially ribs, tend to taste hammy to me.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
This ^^^^

Also, the enhanced meats, especially ribs, tend to taste hammy to me.
I also prefer un-enhanced meat. About the only enhanced meat I buy is chicken parts.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Lake Dogs

5th part harmony here; unenhanced always! The Kroger ribs taste hammy to me and also when cooked low n slow (under 300) vs. grilling the saltiness of the brine seems to shine through and frankly conflicts a little with my rub.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
cpw
Babbling Farker

I'll use the moist and tender butts in a pinch, but from what I can recall, they'res a lot of brine in those packages which means you're paying for a lot of water.
GMG Jim Bowie
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub, Baxter's Original Smoking Wood, and Deep South Smokers
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
captndan
Babbling Farker

I don't understand. Why would I buy anything that wasn't fresh?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
IamMadMan

I agree, fresh is always better.

However we are a nation of misled sheep. We are told the salt solution is for moistness and tenderness, but the main underlying reason they add the salt solution at packaging is yes a very small added profit but also: (From USDA Website)

2.1. Salt Solutions

Salt inhibits microbial growth by plasmolysis. In other words, water is drawn out of the microbial cell by osmosis due to the higher concentration of salt outside the cell. A cell loses water until it reaches a state first where it cannot grow and cannot survive any longer. The concentration of salt outside of a microorganism needed to inhibit growth by plasmolysis depends on the genus and species of the microorganism. The growth of some bacteria is inhibited by salt concentrations as low as 3%, e.g., Salmonella, whereas other types are able to survive in much higher salt concentrations, e.g., up to 20% salt for Staphylococcus or up to 12% salt for Listeria monocytogenes (Table 5.3.). Fortunately the growth of many undesirable organisms normally found in meat and poultry products is inhibited at relatively low concentrations of salt (USDA FSIS 1997a).