עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
smokeswirl
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default how manyt of you drive your woman crazy

My wife definitely goes crazy about the smoked food that I make. Im using an el cheapo Masterbuilt propane/charcoal smoker. I know, I need to get a real smoker but I bought this when I didnt know Jack about smoking and am getting decent results.

But the thing that drives my wife crazy is the purchasing of and desire to purchase bbq stuff, prep time, cook time and mess I make when I smoke.

I cant help myself. Im the kind of guy that gets into something and gets obsessed. Like the time I started roasting my own coffee. Still do by the way.

Im constantly trying to figure out how to improve my cooks. What tools I need or just plain ole want to have.( Step one is a better smoker for sure). i obsess over my cook temperature and the quality of the smoke. Was the rub better the first time or the last? How tender was the meat? Did it have enough of a smoke ring? Was charcoal better with the wood chunks or with gas and the wood chunks? Which charcoal is better? IS lump better than briquettes? Which wood was better? Oak? Cherry? Hickory? (i prefer Cherry).

Anyway I love smoking meats. I love the tinkering with the fire and smoke. I love eating delicious smoked meats. I love serving delicious smoked meats. And I, especially, love this site for giving me a clue how to do it.

Happy 4th everyone
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put down the Red Bull & back away your wound tighter than a 2.00 watch. Take Breath!!
BBQ:> Laid back Beer Swillin Redneck Cookery!

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ

Sometimes I do It has gotten better as she realizes this is what it is and also the food has improved enough that she likes it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
sliding_billy

Sure, I drive her crazy. Hell, I drive myself crazy too. Might as well have some company.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I married her that way, and it's been one hell of a ride.

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
cowgirl

I'd never turn down an offer of having someone cook for me.
There are worse hobbies out there.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
SPRfree
Full Fledged Farker

I'm home every weekend, she doesn't have to cook, and when cooking big I also invite one or two of her friends over....now the biggest reaction I get when I walk in the door is "another package was delivered today".
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
SPRfree
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
sure, i drive her crazy. Hell, i drive myself crazy too. Might as well have some company.
lmao
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Norm62
Got Wood.

Guilty! Same way with all of my hobbies. I dive in head first and accumulate way too much stuff. These boards are awesome for the help and fellowship they provide, but they also make me want more than I need. There's always some other cool toy that you just have to have. The good thing with all of my hobbies though, is that they have all been recyclable, so to speak. I really haven't spent any "NEW" money getting into a new hobby in years. I sold my motorcycle and dove into guns, rifles and reloading. Still love that hobby, but sold some of that stuff and got heavy into RC aircraft the last 4 years. Really love that still, but sold some of my planes and excess equipment to purchase my CL WSM, CL OTG Kettle and a Maverick after my Chargriller w/SFB gave me a lesson in frustration over temp control. The IQ pit controller for the WSM is very tempting but so far, I've been able to convince myself that although my WSM runs a little hot, I've got no trouble keeping a steady temp for long periods of time. No doubt though, that at some point, I'll probably cave and dump the $200 on that too... just because it's cool. My wife has been a trooper through it all though, because like many of our wives, she knows I could be doing much worse things. My hobbies have kept me busy and out of trouble.

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Hagisan
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Sure, I drive her crazy. Hell, I drive myself crazy too. Might as well have some company.
I concur 100%.

18.5 WSM - Party Gator Pit Offset
Traeger PTG - Weber Performer 22.5
DIY Pine T&G Smokehouse
Char Broil Classic Gas Grill C-69G5CB
AMNS - AMNPS
CBBQA - KCBS
Big Blind BBQ Team
Hagisan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
deguerre

Hell. I talked my wife into joining. Of course, she's an excellent cook in the first place, and became just as interested in smoking as I did. Besides. I need her to do the chicken, which she does SO MUCH better than I ever did.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
DaveAlvarado
is one Smokin' Farker

BBQ is like hopping in the sack with a woman. When you're new to it, you worry a lot about every little thing. After a while, you know it's going to be good so you just have fun and let things happen.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
drjiveturkey
Knows what a fatty is.

Mine got mad at me for not letting her use my grills on fathers day. I was smoking ribs and chicken and she said she wanted to do it to give me a day off of cooking. She just doesn't understand that part of the joy of eating bbq is making it
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

My wife loves the smoked meat. She has no desire to use the grills or smoker, though.

She's smart . . .

Unread 07-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
grantw
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 3

Mines pretty cool about it, although up here in canada theres not a whole lot i can just go out and buy, so that part is a non issue. I have a buddie that his wife rides him to sell of his grills, im kinda on her side though cause he dont really use em and he has 2 uds, an a 18.5 wsm, that sit there cluttering up the yard. I use my stuff fairly regular and all my smokers get a turn.