The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
bassmaster16
Full Fledged Farker

Default Are Thermapens really worth the money?

Thinking about taking the plunge and spend the $100 on a Thermapen. Are they really worth the money?
bassmaster16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

The short answer is yes (for me). But if money is a concern start with the thermoworks pocket thermometer ($19), I use one as a back up and it is great.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...t/rt301wa.html
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

YES!!!
I even bought one for my daughter who is 15!!
Once you have used one it is hard to go back to the old, slow thermo's
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Love mine...couldn't imagine Que without it
“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain (Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)

Member Cigar Lounge Social Group
PaSmoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

Depends on your cooking habits if it is worth the $100 or not. I have a thermapen because I'm a gadget junkie. I really don't need it and could of bought a much cheaper instant read thermometer.

However for people that are constantly taking temperatures through the day (kitchen managers, health inspectors, beer brewers, etc) It is a really handy tool. Also anybody that cooks a large amount of meats in a pit, the thermapen is a handy tool. It allows you to accurately take temperatures of large quantity of food in a short amount of time, so that you can close the pits lids quickly and it can come back up to temperature easier.

TLDR: If you cook large amounts of meat, or have to take temps all day every day, it is a great tool that would be considered necessary. For someone that is just a backyard bbqer, no it isn't necessary to have but it is a fun little gadget.
Weber Performer
Sublime Smoke UDS
RedBox Smoker
Lay Man Pitmaster IQ 110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I chose a Maverick PT 100 over the Thermapen and I believe I gave 80 and the fast speed is nice to have when checking things like chicken thighs, steaks etc.. But I think I could get by just fine with the new 5-6 readout ThermoPop for 24 bucks or the one mentioned above for 19..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

Yes!
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
el_matt
is Blowin Smoke!

I couldn't justify the price, but really wanted one. When the Thermopop came out ($25), I jumped on it. It's slightly slower than the Thermapen, but just as accurate.

I'm completely happy with my Thermopop, but if I was competing or vending, I probably would want the extra speed. If you're like me, and just cook for family, it may not be worth the price. Just my opinion, not saying anything bad about the Thermapen.

Matt

Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

It took me a while to get over having spent the money on it. I still don't think that it is "worth" the difference in money, but it was long enough ago that I am well aware I would have blown it on something else and am glad that I have it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

no

unless you are a comp or cater cooker I cant see the need for it

lots of cheaper units that work just fine

I have one of these. works great

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

From my point of view, it depends. If you are looking for a thermometer to keep track of a single piece of meat, or pit temps, then get a remote thermometer with a probe that stays put during the entire cook.

However, I now mostly cook by feel, so I just need a thermometer to very quickly let me know exactly where I stand. Also, I am cooking several pieces at one time, and this allows me to very quickly assess where I am, and ensure that all pieces are cooked to the same temperature. This is a food safety must if you are cooking for groups of people. Also, you can go quickly from validating that temps are above 140* on hot stuff and under 140* on the cold stuff.

Lastly, I also have a Thermopop, and love it as well. We use it on smaller cooks, and cooking for ourselves. However, the Thermopen is probably one of the most used tools in the kitchen or pit.

BTW, Thermoworks customer service is right of there with Weber's, which means a great deal to me.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I like my affordable ThermoPop. THe diameter of the probe is small so it doesn't make a big hole, and is very accurate.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
s0upb0ne
On the road to being a farker

I go into a panic when I cant find mine before a cook. It makes a cook go so much easier.
s0upb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0upb0ne View Post
I go into a panic when I cant find mine before a cook. It makes a cook go so much easier.
Ha! I know the feeling. That is why we have an orange and pink versions so that they are easy to spot!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do have a thermapen and love it, but for those not wanting to spend that kind of money this model that I have bought at Restaurant Depot is what I recommend. Is is maybe 1 second slower and waterproof. I have no worries about washing this thing and getting water all over it. Thermapens are only "splashproof" but mine has certainly lasted.

This one in the pic is actually the 2nd one I've bought. I have one for home and this latest is now what I have as my thermapen back up at comps. If my thermapen ever dies I won't buy another. And you can order it on Amazon in case you don't have a RD near. For $25 it is absolutely an equal to the thermapen. Had I known about it prior to buying my thermapen I wouldn't have dropped the $90.

22.5 WSM & Weber 18.5 Kettle
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->