The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First pizzas and Weber stone - Fail (sort of)

Did my first two pizzas on my Weber stone and had a few problems. I followed Weber's instructions. Preheated the stone, and built the pizza on a floured cutting board. I floured the hot stone and tried to transition the pizza from the cutting board to the stone.

That is where I ran into trouble. It just kind of came off in a heap. I straightened it out as best I could, but it wasn't very pretty. Also got stuck to the stone because some of the toppings and sauce got under it.

Second pizza ended up about the same.

On the bright side, It was edible and the flavor was very good, It was just sort of a "fork pizza".

Couple of questions...

How do you guys transition the pizza onto the preheated stone without making a mess?

Do you just build it on the stone, then put the whole thing on the grill?

Also, Weber says just use water to clean it, but if it gets stuck that doesn't work too great. Is there anything other than plain water I can clean it with without ruining the stone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Easiest way to transfer is to build the pie on parchment (preferred) or butcher paper.

Oh and I just raise the heat after to have the stone self clean. Everything turns to dust on it and you just brush it off after it cools.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
PBC-Sold(She will be missed)
Hunsaker Drum
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
agoldswo
Knows what a fatty is.

i would say your best bet is to invest in a pizza peel and some cornmeal. To me, cornmeal on the bottom of your crust gives it a little extra crunch and makes it great for non stick and sliding on and off the peel. i'll just spread the dough out on the peel, which is dusted with cornmeal, add my toppings and it slides right onto the stone.
agoldswo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
ssv3

^^

Yea pizza peel and corn meal also help to makr the transition easy if Im not using paper at all.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
PBC-Sold(She will be missed)
Hunsaker Drum
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Moose

Launching a pizza onto a stone can be a daunting task until you get some practice and have the right tools. I recall numerous pizza launching disasters in my early days that were more like frankenpizzacalzones!

1. Get a wooden pizza peel with a handle. This is the most effective launch device. Do NOT use a metal peel. Metal peels are great for pulling a cooked pizza out of your cooker, but not for launching.

2. Coat your peel liberally with semolina flour, which is an excellent lubricant. It will help the pie slide right off onto the stone. Some folks use cornmeal, but while it works well, I don't like it as it completely changes the texture of the bottom crust. After you finish building you pie on the stone, pick up the peel using the handle, and give it a slight push forward. The pie should move a bit. Using the same exaggerated motion, you can launch you pie on the stone at no more than a 10-15 degree tilt over the stone. This is the tricky part that takes some practice.

Do a search on this topic on Youtube, and watch carefully over and over till you get the hang of the wrist motion they use when launching the pies.
Custom Avatars by Grillman
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Easiest way to transfer is to build the pie on parchment (preferred) or butcher paper.

Oh and I just raise the heat after to have the stone self clean. Everything turns to dust on it and you just brush it off after it cools.
Do you just build the pizza on the parchment paper and lay it on the stone and slide the paper out from under it or slide the pizza off the paper onto the stone?

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Lots of cornmeal on top of a wooden peel, build the pizza right on top of that. BTW, we do like the added texture of cornmeal.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote