Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
On the road to being a farker
Default Onyx Oven question for any other owners

So I have been getting some odd burns in my firebox lately and honestly pretty much the whole time I've owned it. Starting to get on my nerves more lately though.

I have a DigiQ with a 10cfm fan running it and have tried to light the thing every way known to man. The issue I am having is no matter how I light it the right side (my right facing the cooker) seems to be the only side that burns. It has no trouble getting up to temp and holds like a champ but that side of the cooker obviously runs hotter and I get half the time before burn out.

It's more irritating then anything else. The left side will literally go out and most times I end up scraping lump over to the right to just keep it stoked.

No blockages and or mechanical issues evident.

Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
On the road to being a farker

Well, since you said you have tried every way to light it I am hesitant to give this advice, but I make sure that the firebox is lined up dead center and light some coals on both sides of the air channel in the very front of the box. I load about 8 pounds of lump charcoal in mine and get 14 hours out of it at 230 degrees with a full water pan. I have left over coals.

If I crack it up to microwave at 300 degrees, I get about 10 hours burn time out of the same amount of coals. I had the same issue that you did the first few times and went with the front light method I described and have had no problems since then.

Good luck! If that fails get in touch with Bob Trudnak at the BBQ Guru. He is the king of this cooker and will help you out if you need it.
[B]Mark Gibbs, Checkered Flag 500 BBQ[/B]
Fawn Grove, PA
KCBS, MABA Meadow Creek CD-108,
Backwoods Extended Party, 2 BBQ Guru Onyx Ovens
Thanks to our sponsors, 3 Eyz BBQ, The Ingredient Store, The BBQ Guru
markG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would call Guru and ask them They are very helpful
Large BIG Green EGG- Hatched 8/17/09
Backwoods Extented Party
Weber Genesis Gasser
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
is One Chatty Farker

I have not experienced that problem, I make sure to have a good "bridge" crossing over from the right to left at the front of the firebox. I light about 10 coals and place them in the back left corner of the right half of the firebox, hope that makes sense :)
Rubbed, Smoked & Sauced BBQ Team
Sponsored by Bars Leaks/Rislone
Vice President, Great Lakes BBQ Assn
Onyx oven, Chargriller Akorn
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote