Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
Knows what a fatty is.

the one in Houston is bad
qhoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
On the road to being a farker

I have to agree with BluDawg on this one, Sweet Tea was pretty good. I also liked the onion strings they have... lastly, some of the sauces were pretty good. Meat sucked, I mean, is it edible? Yes... is it good and more importantly is it reasonably priced? Absolutely not. It's really just not worth the trip.
Blaz'n Gridiron with Copper Vein Custom Hood|UDS|King Keg|Weber 22.5 Performer
sknabnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by HossIsBoss View Post

Had it once at the one here and that was enough. The food had very little smoke flavor and was dry.
yep, that about covers it
Weber Summit S-670, Backyard Bomber MJH, Weber 22.5 WSM, Mini WSM
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

i went to one a couple times in Cortland, NY, which is about 40 minutes from me. first time it was ok and the 2nd time it sucked. i'm really bummed because there was a much better BBQ place across town from it that ended up going out of business. i've actually been really into writing reviews on yelp, so i'll share with you what i wrote on there about this location:

"this place has its pros and cons but i feel the cons outweigh the pros. i do like the decor and the sauce, and the free ice cream is a nice touch, and it seems like they do have some good specials. overall though i'd have to say this is the KFC of BBQ, but not as good. i've been here twice, once back in september and then once recently, and i wish i had remembered my september visit better before i came here the 2nd time. the first time i came i looked at the menu for a bit, as i did the 2nd time. their website says they have a 3 meat BBQ combo. well apparently this location does not. they have so many meats and i'm supposed to narrow it down to 2? the first time i went with the ribs and turkey combo and a brisket sandwich. for sides i got the jalepeno baked beans and the potato salad. the potato salad had a dill flavor to it that i was not a fan of. the beans i remember being good but they were very hot. not hot as in spicy but they were very warm and hard to eat. now that i think about it i did get a 3rd side, i got the mac n cheese. nothing special about it at all. it wasn't bad, but it was just very generic. i don't really remember how they ribs and brisket sandwich were, i think they were alright, but i remember picking up no smoke flavor on the turkey and i was kinda bummed about that.

onto the 2nd visit. i got there and forgot there was no 3 meat combo. this time i did not opt for the additional sandwich. i just got the brisket and ribs combo along with the jalapeno beans and this time i got the baked potato cassarole, which is really just mashed potatoes with some of the skins left in and topped with a little bit of cheese. they were decent though. i wasn't a big fan of the beans this time around though. as for the ribs, they were tender enough but the smoke flavor on them was really bitter, as if the flavor came from straight up charcoal instead of hickory wood. the brisket was a huge let down. as soon as i opened my to go box i saw a pile of chopped brisket and it hit me that last time i was there they asked if i wanted it sliced or chopped. this time they didn't ask. i got a pile of dark brown overdone dry beef that had no smoke flavor to it at all. i got a slice of pecan pie with the meal too. you can tell it's definitely not homemade but it was still pretty good. another thing i forgot to note earlier, it seems the people who were working there the first time around were a lot friendlier. i believe there were 2 women working. this time there was a guy working and he seemed like he did not want to be there, and probably didn't put as much care into the food. their website says "if it's not perfect, we don't serve it". the ribs were passable but that brisket was unacceptable.

overall i'd really give this place a 2.5. if yer on 81 and heading north, just keep going til you get to dinosaur bbq. if you're heading south, just keep going until you're out of PA and i'm sure you're bound to find something good."
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

hmm, looks like i forgot to mention in my review that i too found this place to be overpriced
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
is One Chatty Farker

they had put up a dickeys in fort worth down the street from Cousin's BBQ(been around since 1983)....I think the dickeys lasted less than a year...I went in a few times cuz I had various friends wanting to try it so I just went along...every time it was awful....DRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....and just not smokey at all and its expensive....horrible place don't waste your time
Shirley Fabrication 24x60, Custom Wood Fired Grill/Rotissirie/Smoker built by DWFISK, Red Thermopop
jbounds286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I grew up in Dallas in the late 70's a block away from the Dickeys, and I can tell you I had some of the best barbecue I have ever eaten in their backyard on 4th of July parties and block parties.

The original restaurant on Henderson they kept a pretty good eye on and was always okay, but does not have a real pit like the great central Texas places have. The rest of the chain I wouldn't go into having high expectations. They are on a rapid expansion push, which is probably a bad sign for quality. I don't have high expectations go into ANY chain barbecue restaurant.
ibanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #23
is One Chatty Farker

Before I'd had good BBQ I thought Dickeys and Famous Dave's were both great. Since I've discovered what good BBQ can taste like, I find both of those places...tolerable.
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #24
Found some matches.

seems wike a chain saying it has great BBQ should have great BBQ, otherwise it's a waste of time for you and them.
dick28540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
On the road to being a farker

Have one about 15mins away. Not too bad but hit or miss. Also not my first choice. Try it let us know your thoughts.
rev0jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #26
Full Fledged Farker

The dickeys in my area is pretty much below average and I am being nice. It seems to me these franchise bbq restaurants cook with commercial electric cookers with little to no smoke flavor. In my area There is a Dickeys, a Dave's, and a whole hog bbq restaurant and non of them cook over a wood fired pit. We do have a couple of "real BBQ" places here and they are the most popular.
Lang 36" Hybrid offset w/warmer Box
Weber Smokey Mtn 22-1/2"
Jumbo Joe Stainless 18"
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Funny thing. We talked with the guy in charge of Dickey's franchises and he stated they all used Ole Hickory pits.

However, I saw the same electric that Jim saw at a local Dickey's.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #28

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I've tried it probably half a dozen times in total when it was either that or McDonald's. The last few times when I've had that choice, I've chosen McDonald's.
Assistant to a Mad BBQ Scientist (and a squirrel): Primo Oval XL, Small Offset, Gasser, Optigrill, UBS
"I love everything about the pig, even the way she walks." -- Spanish proverb
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Originally Posted by Brontoburger View Post
We have a Dickey's Barbecue going up nearby. I'm not familiar with them. Yes, I know they are a chain but passable BBQ in southeast PA is hard to come by unless I do it myself. I'm familiar with Famous Dave's and didn't think they were too bad. Not great, just not too bad. How does Dickey's compare?
Bhasplamy dickeys just closed down here because BBQ was awful!
10 year old steel pit smoker.
Mini weber
Backwoods Smoker Chubby
KitchenAide Built in Gas Grill

Ahhcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dickey's started in Dallas. I wasn't around back in the 1940's, so I don't know wheter it was as good as they claim it was.

Today, it is just another chain BBQ joint.

When I am dragged there, I get a loaded baked potato. Hard to mess that up.

Texas BBQ is centered on brisket, and Dickey's brisket is dry and tough.

caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote