oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
MrDsmoker
On the road to being a farker

Default New Weber Smokey Mountain... Suggestions?!!!!

This past Sunday was my first Father's Day and wife decided to treat me to a new weber smokey mountain. I have been cooking on the kettle for a while. Unfortunately when I put the whole thing together I discovered that the top grate was the wrong size. I called weber and they are sending me the right sized top grate for the 18 1/2 WSM. With all the experience on this site I would like suggestions for seasoning my smoker and what I should cook on it first. Also if any one has any ideas, advice, or useful information about this particular cooker let me know! Happy grilling guys/gals.
MrDsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Season it by cooking a pork butt and multiple racks of ribs......and maybe a chicken. They don't need seasoning.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

from my experience, since the weber is porcelain coated you don't really need to season it like other steel smokers. i.e. rubbing oil on the inside and doing a good burn. When i got my WSM, I did a test burn so i could see how it worked and how well i could manage temps. But i didn't oil or cook anything.

Brinkman Trailmaster, WSM, BPS UDS, Smokin-it #2, 3x 22.5" Weber OTGs, Weber S330, Pizza Kettle, Rotisserie Collar, A-Maze-N Smoker, Thermapen,
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Ag76
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDsmoker View Post
This past Sunday was my first Father's Day and wife decided to treat me to a new weber smokey mountain. I have been cooking on the kettle for a while. Unfortunately when I put the whole thing together I discovered that the top grate was the wrong size. I called weber and they are sending me the right sized top grate for the 18 1/2 WSM. With all the experience on this site I would like suggestions for seasoning my smoker and what I should cook on it first. Also if any one has any ideas, advice, or useful information about this particular cooker let me know! Happy grilling guys/gals.
This site will give you all of the information you will ever need, and then some:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
bigdexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
This site will give you all of the information you will ever need, and then some:

^^^ This

Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Ron_L

There's a lot of WSM knowledge and some great WSM cooks right here on the BBQ Brethren. No need to go anywhere else!

The traditional first cook is naked fatties! Naked Fatties rock

Here is a post that i did a while back on starting up a WSM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
BobBrisket

^^^^^What he said. More than enough knowledge here to help this Brother out!

Bob
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
BobBrisket

I agree with the fatty as the first cook. Since you will be loading it up with charcoal, make the most of it and toss in a butt. Use some chunks and go with the Minion start up. Lot like a kettle. Top vent open and bottom vents are usually 1/2 -3/4 open to achieve the temp you want. Congrats on the first Father's Day and the WSM!
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdexxx View Post
^^^ This

So will this one.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

i got one 3 years ago and was careful about it. the instructions did say to do a test burn without food. i did do a test burn but i threw a few hot dogs on just for the hell of it. honestly, for a first cook i would recommend chicken, it only takes a few hours, it tastes good, and you won't be out much money if you screw it up! you made a good purchase though, i love mine. my biggest cook with it was for a party with about 60 people and i cooked 5 pork shoulders at once. the meat came out great and once you get used to it you'll find that this unit is pretty easy to regulate and cooks some solid food
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I have 3 wsm's that i bought new, i just go ahead and cook, they run real well right from new. Ribs usually hit my cookers first.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
bshm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Serlington View Post
i got one 3 years ago and was careful about it. the instructions did say to do a test burn without food. i did do a test burn but i threw a few hot dogs on just for the hell of it. honestly, for a first cook i would recommend chicken, it only takes a few hours, it tastes good, and you won't be out much money if you screw it up! you made a good purchase though, i love mine. my biggest cook with it was for a party with about 60 people and i cooked 5 pork shoulders at once. the meat came out great and once you get used to it you'll find that this unit is pretty easy to regulate and cooks some solid food
I agree completely on the chicken, biggest reason is the shiny new interior is going to give a really hot cook and lots of radiant heat like the inside of a shiny freshly cleaned oven. Perfect for chicken hot and fast.

Mine settled down after three or four cooks and I used an aluminum foil gasket around the door for awhile. Now I don't need it and it's really stable.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never bought a new WSM, so I don't know if there is any manufacturing residue you need to worry about. I'd wash it first, then fire it up Minion Method and cook a butt and a fatty.

The WSM is a pretty well designed machine, and you don't need all kinds of gadgets to get it to cook for 10 hours or more. The key is to learn how it works.

You'll get a little smoke leaking from the door and from under the lid, and that's OK. As long as you shut all of the vents and the fire goes out you're golden. Don't go making or buying gaskets if you don't need to. Sometimes in shipping they get knocked out of round. A couple loving squeezes usually fixes that.

Some folks say the factory thermo is off by as much as 30 degrees. Watch for that too.

Enjoy the WSM, and Happy Fathers Day.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
B-More BBQ Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

I just got a WSM for father's day myself. I decided to do a brisket on mine over the weekend.
Here are my threads:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=191184
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=191349

Happy smoking brother, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

P.S. My center section/lid/base were all SLIGHTLY out of round (~1/4"). At first the lid wouldn't fit on in any position, so I took a tape measure and made slight tweaks by gently squeezing in the oblong sides to make it concentric. Fits perfectly now in any orientation. Took me all of 5 mins.
B-More BBQ Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshm View Post
I agree completely on the chicken, biggest reason is the shiny new interior is going to give a really hot cook and lots of radiant heat like the inside of a shiny freshly cleaned oven. Perfect for chicken hot and fast.

Mine settled down after three or four cooks and I used an aluminum foil gasket around the door for awhile. Now I don't need it and it's really stable.
Great advise as well as the others. It will want to run hot for the first 4-5 cooks till it gets seasoned up as it seals the small leaks. Only problems I have now is I never clean it good and I can't get over 300 now!! Haha,....I can't get my charcoal door open.