The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
hoogy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 150 pound whole hog

Going to cook a 150 pound whole hog on July 5. Going to cook butter fly style. My cooker cooks at 240 - 275. Just wondering how long to cook hog. I am thinking about 10 pounds per hour. So roughly 15 hours to cook then rest for 1 hour. What do you do to prepare the hog. Inject or rub or both. Thanks
hoogy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
BigDon
Got Wood.

What kind of cooker are you using? We cook a lot of whole hog here in NC. Just cooked a 70 pound yesterday. I normally go about an hour per 10 pounds at 300 skin down and don't flip. I don't do any injection, sauce, rub or anything else. I have never needed anything while cooking and we pull and/or chop ours and don't let people "pick" it. While we are pulling and chopping we then add the BBQ sauce.

Last edited by BigDon; 06-15-2014 at 10:53 AM..
BigDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Depends on your cooker, mine is a gasser I cook a 100# @300 for 8 hours.
Bandera
Gasser pig cooker
Chargriller offset
Smokey Joe
"ON FIRE" Thermapen
Thermoworks TW8060
Maverick ET 732
Georgiaboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Hour per lb. and you are cooking 70 lb.......dang I couldn't stay awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
What kind of cooker are you using? We cook a lot of whole hog here in NC. Just cooked a 70 pound yesterday. I normally go about an hour per pound at 300 skin down and don't flip. I don't do any injection, sauce, rub or anything else. I have never needed anything while cooking and we pull and/or chop ours and don't let people "pick" it. While we are pulling and chopping we then add the BBQ sauce.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

I'm doing my first one this upcoming Saturday (90#er). I've been doing a lot of research on this site and if you are cooking less than 250, you might want to plan on 1.25-1.5 hours/10 lbs. I plan to keep mine at 275+ the entire time.

I will be doing mine racer style, as it may not fit butterflied in my cooker. Not entirely sure how much of a difference racer style vs butterflied matters in cooking time. Haven't gotten that far in my research yet...

"Lest we Forget"
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
BigDon
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
Hour per lb. and you are cooking 70 lb.......dang I couldn't stay awake
See what happens when you have been up cooking a pig for three days.

Thanks, I fixed it!
BigDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Driver View Post
I'm doing my first one this upcoming Saturday (90#er). I've been doing a lot of research on this site and if you are cooking less than 250, you might want to plan on 1.25-1.5 hours/10 lbs. I plan to keep mine at 275+ the entire time.

I will be doing mine racer style, as it may not fit butterflied in my cooker. Not entirely sure how much of a difference racer style vs butterflied matters in cooking time. Haven't gotten that far in my research yet...
Ok, I'll be following your hog cook and taking notes. So post your details please.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
hoogy

I have a reverse flow smoker. Just built it about three weeks ago. I used to have a 275 fuel tank on its side. as a reverse flow. The bottom was getting weak so I built a new one. Would love to post pictures but not sure how to.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
hoogy

Last edited by hoogy; 06-16-2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: trying to add picture

Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
hoogy

Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I figure 1 hr per 10 lb or until I get 190 in the hams I wipe the cavity with plain old white vinegar and good old table salt. I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. By cooking meat down it lets the grease render out and drip into the coals. You end up with a moist juicy pig. There is a difference between greasy BBQ & moist BBQ. I use the skin as a serving bowl Pull 1/2 & chop 1/2 mix little piedmont red into the meat before you turn it over to the vultures.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

Get all the hair off or don't take any pictures,trust me!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #13
hoogy

[QUOTE I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. .[/QUOTE]

I was going to cook meat side or skin side up. I saw a guy once try to flip his and it was just falling apart. If I cook skin side up then won't the fat just fall out through meat .

Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Cooking racer style or cavity down will render a lot of fat from a 150 hog. Be sure to open your clean out valve on that reverse flow.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogy View Post
[QUOTE I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. .
I was going to cook meat side or skin side up. I saw a guy once try to flip his and it was just falling apart. If I cook skin side up then won't the fat just fall out through meat . [/QUOTE]
You have to cage wrap it and be gentle like your handling a very big baby, and you need 3 people one on each end an a catch man on the side to ease him down.