ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What do you eat the first night?

After seeing Phil talk about his linquini and clam sauce, I was wondering what other people cook up the first night at competition. We try to go for something simple but still pretty decent. Twice now, we have brought boboli and pizza fixins and laid them out for everyone to make their own and put them on the grill until cooked through.

What does everyone else do that may be simple yet elegant, or do you go all out and work your ass off for dinner?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
drumfreak
Knows what a fatty is.

Last year I had wings....sausages....skirt steaks...pasta salad and shrimp while the teams to the left and right of me kept it simple and made sandwiches. I vowed that I would keep it simple this year but I am falling into the same routine....looks like anduille and italian sausage, skirt steaks, wings AND sandwiches. Go figure!!!!

Smokehouse Rules

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
2 WSM's
22.5 inch Kettle
and a BIG APPETITE!!!
drumfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For a small crowd, pizzas are good stuff. For tomorrow, we're having more people by, so we're doing some ribs and chicken breasts. Last time, we did pitbeef sandwiches... Simple but good stuff.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

We have sandwiches, casseroles from home, soup, salads, or KFC. Something simple that does not need the cooker running.
Or, we eat what the organizers provide. Getting to be more of that
Or, we mooch off of neighbors.
Or, we get Phil to come down and cook prime rib

OH--we have done some Cajun Shrimp boils for a treat. Simple one dish meal and a crowd pleaser.

This is really a practical matter. Neither of us eat much at a comp. Just not hungry for some reason.
We also try to nap from 9 or 10 PM till about 3 AM. Our cooker is ready to add a chimney to cook and we do not want to mess with it the night before.

Actually, our big meal is breakfast on turn-in day. Gotta have eggs, meat, bread, potatoes, and lots of cold milk. Get the energy level up and ready to go when it is important.

Different strokes for different folks here

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.

Last edited by The_Kapn; 07-13-2006 at 04:34 PM..
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good feedback. Keep it coming.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
We have sandwiches, casseroles from home, soup, salads, or KFC. Something simple that does not need the cooker running.
Or, we eat what the organizers provide. Getting to be more of that
Or, we mooch off of neighbors.
Or, we get Phil to come down and cook prime rib

OH--we have done some Cajun Shrimp boils for a treat. Simple one dish meal and a crowd pleaser.

This is really a practical matter. Neither of us eat much at a comp. Just not hungry for some reason.
We also try to nap from 9 or 10 PM till about 3 AM. Our cooker is ready to add a chimney to cook and we do not want to mess with it the night before.

Actually, our big meal is breakfast on turn-in day. Gotta have eggs, meat, bread, potatoes, and lots of cold milk. Get the energy level up and ready to go when it is important.

Different strokes for different folks here

TIM
I can think of another option ya missed.......

and happy to do it again..

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We usually coordinate with other teams and figure out a group gameplan. For example - We usually make steak kabobs ( wife marinates them starting thursday), another team makes BBQ spaghetti, yet another will do fatties and wings.... and we put it all out and have a free - for -all.

Last weekend, Early Bird, Jeanies got Wood, and Boys of BBQ & Patty, put on an AWESOME cajun spread. Crawfish Etouffe, Red beans and rice, Gumbo, and 30lbs of mudbugs Best I have eaten in weeks!!!

Unread 07-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Opps, can't forget Brother Wayne's ABTs. We make them now too, but his were the inspiration!!!

Unread 07-14-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

i do a prime rib for everyone else, not me though.. I NEED a NO MEAT thing. last year at grillkings i did the linuine and clam sauce and it went over real well. Its a welcomed change after prepping meat all day. I bouth the fixins for linguine and clam sauce, or a fresh marinara with ziti and herbs from the garden. Pile on a gallon or so of locatelli and Im a happy camper.

but, willyB save me some clams!!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #10
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I need to start coming to comps and hangin out with yall.. <taco bell and 2 honey buns for supper to night at work>

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 05:07 AM   #11
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

we start the day off with My clams casion along with 24 loaves bread and later on through the day we will have smoked sausage , wings, and some ribs.

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2013 is here
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We got some ribeyes and COTC.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

partenr likes cooking lamb but I like to visit and munch on all the good grub that our firiends are serving...usually too busy drinking to eat much anyway<bfg>

Buzz
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #14
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
After seeing Phil talk about his linquini and clam sauce, I was wondering what other people cook up the first night at competition. We try to go for something simple but still pretty decent. Twice now, we have brought boboli and pizza fixins and laid them out for everyone to make their own and put them on the grill until cooked through.

What does everyone else do that may be simple yet elegant, or do you go all out and work your ass off for dinner?
Greg,
I can't believe this.

The only answer I can think of is "BAGNA CAUDA".......

Put some of that great bread out on the table light a couple of candles
and it is decent and Elegant !

Expand with adding clams and maybe a bowl of pasta on the side.

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote