ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pizza can be found in one book.

American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...e=UTF8&s=books

This book is amazing. the first section is how the guy tours the world searching out delicious pizzas. The second half is an assortment of dough recipes, sauce recipes and step by step instructions on how to cook a pick a perfect pie. Read the reviews on Amazon

Spicewine Custom Medium Large (Thank You Sawdustguy)
Primo Oval (and BBQ Guru for when I need a nap)
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (used mainly for storage)
Meco Aussie Walk-About (AKA the princess grill)
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #17
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good stuff. I use wholewheat flour ( better for diabetics plus I think it tastes better) and grill it on the grill so it gets good deep grill marks. Sometimes the dough firms up on the grill so it ends up like waffle fries. Then when you turn it over and add sauce cheese (etc.) it really grips. No bubbling hot topping sliding off that way.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I'm a little suprised that no one has spoken up and said, "I used to work in a pizza joint when I was younger".

If anyone has pizza parlor experience, I have some questions I'd like to ask.

Rockaway, Your book reference is an excellent choice. I haven't read it myself, but Reinhart is a real heavy in the world of pizza. There are alot of NY style crust recipes that bear his name and the one I posted earlier in the thread is a simplified version of one of his recipes.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #19
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
I'm a little suprised that no one has spoken up and said, "I used to work in a pizza joint when I was younger".

If anyone has pizza parlor experience, I have some questions I'd like to ask.
My first job was slingin' pies at Little Caesar's. Most of my concentration, though, was spent trying to figure out how to get into Lisa Lively's pants. Alas, working wasn't the only thing I was inexperienced in . . .

My dad also worked in a Pizza joint in college- the original Hideaway in Stillwater, OK. (some of you may know Hideaway- seriously great pizza). When he graduated in 1965, the owner asked him to become a partner in the business. My dad asked his dad what he should do. My grandfater replied, "Son, pizza is just a fad. Don't do it."

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #20
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
My first job was slingin' pies at Little Caesar's. Most of my concentration, though, was spent trying to figure out how to get into Lisa Lively's pants.
Why is it they're always named Lisa?

Back OT....

Shohn, do pizza joints actually use different doughs for thick and thin crusts, or is it just a matter of how much dough is used for a given size pie?
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #21
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I have found that the secret to a great grilled pizza is the crust. What we have done is go to Costco or Sam's club and buy a case of there pre-made pizza dough for about $22. You can roll it out pretty thin and it works great. We even cook this stuff on our Treager pellet grill, so all you "have to cook it on charcoal" people are nutz :-) And yes we do get the great grill marks on the pizza, great smoke flavor and NO burnt crust. We have used both the stone and no stone for making pizza's and we prefer no stone. You just need to remember to time the crust turning and have everything ready a head of time.

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #22
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Shohn, do pizza joints actually use different doughs for thick and thin crusts, or is it just a matter of how much dough is used for a given size pie?
IIRC, Little Caesar's didn't offer a traditional, crisp, thin crust pizza. There was a medium- thickness, sort of "homestyle," and deep pan. For both of these, the dough was the same concoction in different quantities. For the "homestyle," the pans were dusted with cornmeal before the dough was spread in it. For deep pan, the pan was oiled pretty heavily before dough application. The deep pans were square, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference. To the best of my knowledge, real thin-crust dough is baked some before the toppings are applied, then baked again as a pizza, sort of like a pie crust. I may be wrong about this as an industry-wide practice, but I've seen pizza recipes that call for this technique.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle

Unread 07-14-2006, 02:40 AM   #23
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I worked at Spinners Pizza in Brownwood when i was a senior in highschool. Was a great job most of our pies were thin crust and then deep dish, no homestyle or hand tossed. I came in and prepped dough before school and returned to work buffet at lunch when i got out of school. we kept our dough in 55 gal trash cans lined with trashbag, and kept them in the cooler till we needed it. we had a docker roller machine that rolled our dough out for us. and docked it to prevent airbubbles in the crust. It was a damn good pizza joint. but the owner/boss man couldnt keep his nose out the powder and eventually ran out of town after the drug dealers started showin up at 730 in the morning while i was prepping dough lookin for em. pretty scary.. he came in one and we ran the lunch buffet then he took all the money from the register and shut her down. Allways enjoyed it, hell ive even thought about working part time at dominos just to make pies.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
I used to work in a pizza joint when I was younger.

I was one of the delivery boys. Does that count? Delivering to the sororities at Northwestern University was always the hot run. Lousy tips, but you never knew what the girls would be wearing when they came to the door!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #25
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L

Delivering to the sororities at Northwestern University was always the hot run. Lousy tips, but you never knew what the girls would be wearing when they came to the door!
Sounds like a movie . . .

I delivered pie briefly when I was in college. I hated it, and never worked in the kitchen save for washing dishes.

This thread has really got me wanting to make some pizza- I think it just went on the menu for this weekend. I'm gonna try making some whole wheat crust.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle

Unread 07-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #26
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great idea. The power of suggestion has taken hold of me once again. Thin crust is my preference so I'll mix up the thin crust dough KC linked to today, and pie on the stone in the Chargriller it will be tomorrow. I can get the Chargriller up to 450* or so with direct heat. Can't wait.

Unread 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

One of my first jobs as a kid was at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. I was the skin man. We had only one type of crust though. My boss crushed his fingers in the dough press on my first day. I had to take him to the hospital and then go back and clean up the machine. I damn sure kept my farking fingers way clear of those rollers.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #28
Kevin

I think I smell roadmap in this thread.

Unread 07-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #29
cmcadams

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have bags of premade dough for 99 cents... regular, whole wheat and garlic pesto. They make about 3 individual sized pizzas each.

I like to do my pizzas on the grill, no stone, to cook the crust, then move that and toppings onto the smoker to melt the cheese, heat up everything, and add some smoke. I've tried doing it all on the grill, but this is my favorite way.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #30
thepit
Found some matches.

www.pizzamaking.com is the best..
I tried making pizza in my barrel smoker and couldn't get it hot enuff even with mesquite..useing a pizza stone works best..
I'll be buying a propane grill as soon as my deck is finished..with those you can get the temps up to 700 degrees..if you want to make good pizza you need 600 to 800 degrees..
making pizza with a good BBQ sauce turns out nice and get fresh mozzeralla not the rubberball stuff..
thepit is offline   Reply With Quote