The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Cuebie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Best Insulation For a Smoker?

I'm toying with the idea of converting an old stainless industrial dishwasher with into a smoker.

What's the best insulation material to use? Rockwool? Ceramic Fiber Blanket? Insulating aggregates? Is there one I don't know about?

Best,

Ian H.

PRIMO Oval XL, Weber OTG, Weber JJ, and an Old Kenmore gasser which is now the charcoal & wood storage bin...

[B][COLOR="#444444"]hilton[/COLOR][COLOR="#888888"]design[/COLOR][COLOR="#cccccc"].[/COLOR][COLOR="#f5c128"]net[/COLOR][/B]
Cuebie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think Rockwool is pretty common.
I ordered 3 ea.- 1" thick 24"x48" Mineral Wool sheets from McMasterCarr for $6.82 each --

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
matadorbait
Knows what a fatty is.

I am using rockwool: Roxul batting for 4" walls, from Lowes. Regardless of whether you get panels or rolls, its pretty good stuff. I also use perlite in places where the insulation needs to hold weight--I got 4 cuft for $40 at the local marijuana/hydroponics store.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#mineral-wool-sheets/=sabror

Very-High-Temperature Mineral Wool Insulation

With Wire Mesh

• Temperature Range: 0° to 1200° F
  • Heat Flow Rate (K-Factor) @ 75° F: 0.23
  • Density: 8 lbs./cu. ft.
  • Color: Green
When insulating in high temperatures such as in oven and power generating applications, durable mineral wool provides compression and moisture resistance. Sheets are semi-rigid and can be used outdoors with metal jacketing.
Plain sheets meet ASTM E84 25/50 for flame and smoke.
Wire mesh reinforced sheets withstand extreme shock and vibration. Can be cut with wire-cutting pliers.

Plain

Wire Mesh
on One Side

Wire Mesh on
Both Sides

Thick. Wd. Lg. Each Each Each 1" 24" 48" 9328K41 $7.30 9328K21 $21.31 9328K11 $25.80 1 1/2" 24" 48" 9328K42 10.94 9328K22 23.11 9328K12 27.56 2" 24" 48" 9328K43 12.59 9328K23 24.04 9328K13 27.29

Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
captndan
Babbling Farker

I got insulation from a fireplace store. Same stuff that they use in the space shuttle. Ain't cheap.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Cuebie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Very-High-Temperature Mineral Wool Insulation
Thanks SmittyJonz!

PRIMO Oval XL, Weber OTG, Weber JJ, and an Old Kenmore gasser which is now the charcoal & wood storage bin...

[B][COLOR="#444444"]hilton[/COLOR][COLOR="#888888"]design[/COLOR][COLOR="#cccccc"].[/COLOR][COLOR="#f5c128"]net[/COLOR][/B]

Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Cuebie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I got insulation from a fireplace store. Same stuff that they use in the space shuttle. Ain't cheap.
Thanks Captdan. What is it called? Is there a brand name?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
GT-Q
On the road to being a farker

Ceramic fiber blanket. I use it at work frequently. If you are doing a double wall you will likely never have to replace it.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Cuebie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Ceramic fiber blanket. I use it at work frequently.
GT-Q Awesome! That's what I've been researching, I'm having trouble finding any data on K values below 900 degrees though. Any idea what kind of heat refraction I can expect at standard smoking temps? 200-300 degrees?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
GT-Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebie View Post
GT-Q Awesome! That's what I've been researching, I'm having trouble finding any data on K values below 900 degrees though. Any idea what kind of heat refraction I can expect at standard smoking temps? 200-300 degrees?
I think I can find that info at work on Monday. PM me and we can talk technical off the board Monday.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
captndan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebie View Post
Thanks Captdan. What is it called? Is there a brand name?
I don't recall a name. It came on a roll about 18" wide and was about 1/4" thick. Worked well on the firebox.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote