Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Red face Need to repair Imperial Kamado fire box

I have several cracks in my Kamado fire box rings. It's a really old one. Wondering what best to use for repair. Under what circumstances do I use each product. Saw the 2010 post using JB Weld and postings suggesting furnace cement. Need to know if these products are safe used with food. If OK then what is repair timeline to dry and go through initial heat up. Any gases to burn off, etcetera. Thanks for suggestions and help. Any other suggestions for restoration?
Liz 503-989-8993
elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Mod Note:

I moved this to Q-Talk, which is where we discuss cooking and equipment.
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

The Naked Fatty!

Coming soon! Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
is one Smokin' Farker

I've seen a ton of post in here and a few specifically eggish forums. JB Weld seems to be the top choice and no reported issues.
My #5 Imperial didn't need any patching (yet)
UDS, Weber Kettle,
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Knows what a fatty is.

I just went through the same thing a few weeks back with my egg. The firebox was cracked and so was the bottom half to the egg. I used JB weld on the inside and outside and feathered it out maybe an inch or so beyond the crack. Seems to be holding up ok so far. I haven't taken it above 500-600 degrees yet, I ordered a 13" pizza stone to lay underneath the firebox to act as a heat shield. Once I get that installed I'm going to test it out on a high temp cook like a pizza.
L BGE w/ BBQ GURU Party Q, Weber OTG w/smokenator, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum, Big Chief electric smoker, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732.
camben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a side note on the JB Weld (which is the route I would go). Use the original JB Weld NOT the quick cure/dry type. The quick cure only goes to 300 degrees...
"Hi, my name is Gerry and I'm a "BBQ'aholic" and I'm here for help...
Trailer Trash is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Kamado, kamado repair, kamado restoration