MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Jon David
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Grill mats

How many if you guys use them? Does it change the way your food turns out? I'm kidding, but seriously you guys have any general reason in using them for or what purpose do they serve?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

I saw them at HD last weekend for the first time. I don't even know what they are supposed to do.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Jon David
Knows what a fatty is.

I figured grip, or something for keeping your deck from catching ablaze, no clue though. The reason I ask is we are buying a house and the guy has like 4 on the deck and I'm debating asking him to leave one or two.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

I keep meaning to get something. Going to redo our deck sometime in the not too distant future. Will definitely get something by then.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Are you talking about the grill mats that go down on the deck or the Living social grill mats that go actually on the grill and your food sits on them?

IMHO, NO WAY I'd trust my food on a piece of rubber, plastic etc at any elevated temp... They suggest not to heat food in plastic bowls, rubbermaid etc...now saying even Nalgene HDPE type bottles are bad for water that even sits in the sun... I work in scientific community selling equipment and consumables..We've done a ton of leaching studies with our plastics vs competition and plastics definitely leach if there has been any slip agents, biocides, or plastizers additives used in the manf process.

B

Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's an example of one:

http://frogmats.com/

Here's another:

They claim to be food safe to 550F. I ended up buying one just because I was curious, and I used it in cooking a pound of bacon on my first cook on my new pellet grill. Not sure it made much difference, and then I had one more thing to clean up.

But I can imagine it being helpful to keep small stuff from slipping between the bars on your rack.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been thinking of getting a grill mat so when I transfer the chimney starter to the UDS, small pieces of lump does not hit the deck and instead hit the mat.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

If you guys are referring to the mat you actually lay on a deck or concrete patio...I use a mat to keep things clean and tidy.

I use a cabinet smoker, and when you pull the firebox out or the grates out to inspect food, you will get messy and drippings will fall. It's nice to keep the area clean, as you can wash/rinse of the mess and keep your patios clean and decks safe from stains and burns.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

need one for under my pit too!
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
saseekutz
Full Fledged Farker

I need a mat or two. The wife always reminds me of the grease spots here and there on the deck.
saseekutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have 2 under Earl to keep the grease drippings and rust off the concrete patio...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I had a mat under my Weber Genesis to protect the trex decking. When I power washed the deck the next year the mold under the mat was the most difficult area to clean. I no longer use the mat.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's what I've used to keep stains off the concrete. Kinda pricey but pretty durable.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117446-18889-GP-42-L_0__?productId=1005683&Ntt=grill+mat&pl=1¤tURL=%3 FNtt%3Dgrill%2Bmat&facetInfo=