MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Holding a hog on ice.

For those of you that operate from trailers like me, what do you use to hold a hog on ice until you are ready to prep it? I've tried using a watering trough from Tractor Supply then cover the hog in ice but with no insulation and all the extra room it takes a tom of ice to cover a hog and it melts pretty fast.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
For those of you that operate from trailers like me, what do you use to hold a hog on ice until you are ready to prep it? I've tried using a watering trough from Tractor Supply then cover the hog in ice but with no insulation and all the extra room it takes a tom of ice to cover a hog and it melts pretty fast.
I'm guessing the hog is too big for a marine cooler?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

coleman optimax 200 qt cooler, has fit the 100-125 lbers i use.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser

Last edited by Goddahavit; 05-30-2014 at 03:07 PM..
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
SCRedneckBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
that is what we use down her in the heat of South Carolina...just keep the hog covered in plastic and keep the ice in the bags..takes about 10-12 bags of ice depending on the temp. and keep it in the shade as much as possible
Pit Boss 820D, Pit Boss 340, Chargriller Duo Model #5050 w/ firebox, Homemade box pig cooker, Masterbuilt Square Vertical Electric Smoker

Smoke on!
SCRedneckBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

May not work in a professional situation and may be too small, but I use the biggest plastic tote I could find at Home Depot. It holds a 70# pig, but that's probably about as much as will fit in there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Yea I'm looking for something I can get 150-160lb hogs into. I think it would have to be 300-350qt cooler before you could get it in with ice.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

I know this won't help but I've seen teams use body bags (medical examiner cadaver bags). They are fully zippered, waterproof and have a bunch of handles. Granger supply sells them in different sizes.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
captmoby
On the road to being a farker

I have used plastic kiddie pools in the past. That doesnt help with ice consumption much but it works.
captmoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I use one of these:

http://www.behlencountry.com/index.a...ogProduct&i=17

It is double wall poly with about 1-1/2" air gap so it holds ice much better than a single wall plastic feed/water tub. I made a plywood top with a couple inches of rigid insulation that is held down with rachet strap tiedowns. With the hog and packed with ice I can easily hold a defrosted hog for 48 hours without reloading ice.

When not in use as a hog cooler, I actually use it as a feed bunk for my calves, go figure.

EDIT: I've easily fit a 125# dressed hog (that is as big as my RF will handle) with lots of room to spare, thinking it would hold a 150#-160# easily. I also put a freezer thermometer with a 4" probe thru the top to let me check hold temps.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Can you get you hands on some dry ice?

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A large Tuna bag would work. They are used on boats to hold big tuna.
Gonna run you $150 or so. They have a zipper, handles in the middle and both ends and are insulated well.
http://www.canyonproducts.com/insulatedfishbags.html

B15 B18 or B20. They also have a drain.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->