The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like it is getting there.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
... How well is your WSM sealing up? Any leaks? If they are small, they will seal up with use. Any larger leaks might require a little reshaping and / or the gaskets.
When I first fired it up and there was that initial ton of smoke coming out, it was losing some smoke around the top of the side-door, and a bunch where the lid sets on the body. Now I KNOW there will be a gunk build-up at the top, so I expect that won't be like that for long. Side-door, meh, not sure.

I can say that since things have settled in, I have seen no smoke other than out of the top vent.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
THoey1963

Sounds good! I probably rushed to get gaskets / door / latch, but all in all, it wasn't that expensive nor difficult. I may have been happy without them, but I am happy with them too.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 3:30 PM: the skies open up

Pulled the brisket off so I could get to the ribs on the lower rack. Pulled the ribs out, spritzed with apple cider vinegar, wrapped and put them back on. Probed for temp on the brisket: 156. Not much progress, must be in the stall. Sprayed some 50/50, put it back in, and covered up.

While this was going on, a BIG T-storm line rolled in with heavy rain and LOTS of lightning. Nice.

Looks like temps are having a hard time coming all the way back up (230 indicated at grate), so once the rain lets up I'll probably add a pecan chunk and open up a bottom vent.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 5:00 PM: Holy Smokes, what a mess

The rain never did let up! The temps dropped WAY down. I lit half a chimney and put that in, with some pecan, but it just wasn't enough fuel (I am assuming). Had to make an executive decision after standing by the WSM holding an umbrella for the better part of an hour.

Took things indoors. Set oven at 275*. Foiled the brisket and put it in. Took ribs out of foil and put them in.

And of course once I did all that, the rain let up to about to just a drizzle.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Default It was the best of times, it was the worst....

I think my anticipation for this cook ran so high that it made me a wee-bit sad when I couldn't finish everything off on the WSM and make it happen on time. The great part is that the family loved the food, and really picked me up.

When I was breaking down the WSM later in the evening, I discovered about 4 inches of standing water in the bottom, almost up to the grill level. Well know wonder I could never get the temps to come back up!

Let's look at a couple of pics, shall we?

I sauced the ribs not long before taking them out of the oven. They were on the top rack of the oven, and it was set up high to allow room for the brisket below, and that is probably what caused the blackening effect. Meat was very tender with a fantastic flavor. Big hit.

Brisket didn't feel probe-tender until about 9 PM! The flat was a little dry in the leanest areas, but that point was exceptional. Carved off the burnt-end corner and gave that to my wife for her first sample, and her eyes lit up (bless her heart!). You can see a nice bark and pretty little smoke ring. Earlier this evening I reheated some in the nukowave (with wet paper towel on top for re-moistening effect) and it was really, really good with or without sauce (Head Country original).

All in all, a first cook on the WSM with its fair share of challenges but in the end there was plenty of good Q to be had. Already thinking of the next go-round....

Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Upon further review....

We've been enjoying the brisket left-overs during the last week. Just now made an EPIC sandwich adding some onion and not too much Head Country sauce.

The rest of it I am going to chop later today and freeze it in separate bags, and we can enjoy it over the next month or so for a couple of baker tater nights.

Can't WAIT to do another cook, and will have the canopy at the ready in case a monster rain comes again.

The ribs need work.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #23
THoey1963

That lasted way too long. You should be cooking again today...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

True dat, Terry. Birthday party today for my 3rd grader has me all occupied!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #25
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the vette
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

Great recap of your first WSM cook. Some days Murphy's Law and Mother Nature just seem to kick into overdrive. Looks like you learned a lot from your maiden voyage and your next cook will probably run very smoothly. Good luck and even better weather.
Bob C Cue is online now   Reply With Quote