The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
ThePerfectBeard
On the road to being a farker

Default Silver skin, what's the trick?

This stuff is a pain in the ass and more times than not I just leave it off. Is there an easy foolproof way of getting this stuff off? I try to get under it and peel, but it's impossible.
ThePerfectBeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
2001Heel
Full Fledged Farker

I typically use a butter knife to get under it then grab it with a dry paper towel and pull.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Heel View Post
I typically use a butter knife to get under it then grab it with a dry paper towel and pull.
I've tried that, but I can't get under a good piece. It seems to come off in little shards and I can never get enough to pull...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

It's hit or miss with some ribs. I like to start in the middle and get my finger in there and wiggle it free Nd then grab it with a paper towel.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Leave it on. It helps protect the ribs from drying out as much (imo).
red Thermapen

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
All fired up
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My father inlaw was always having problems with that same thing. He finally asked me to help him out one day and it was very clear what his problem was. Getting ribs that ere already pealed. Needless we dont talk about that day lol. Just glad i had witnesses
All fired up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Sweat'in Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by All fired up View Post
My father inlaw was always having problems with that same thing. He finally asked me to help him out one day and it was very clear what his problem was. Getting ribs that ere already pealed. Needless we dont talk about that day lol. Just glad i had witnesses
The same thing happened to me.. (John Prime) I also learned the hard way. Some do and some don't hane the membrane.
Sweat'in Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by All fired up View Post
Haha... I wish that was my problem. I'd throw up a pic if I had one... I can see it on there. Maybe I'll just leave it on. I'm a stickler for detail though and I want to produce the best product and I fear my rub is not getting in all the nooks and crannies.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
captmoby

Are you talking about ribs or some other meat?
captmoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmoby View Post
Are you talking about ribs or some other meat?
This time it was specifically ribs. I was able to get silver skin off the small beef ribs, but had a hard time with brisket as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Not enough meat exposed on the bottom for me to worry much about it. If it doesn't come off easy, I just let it be. That just reminded me of a couple good songs.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
GT-Q

It could be the particular brand of ribs. For some reason when I get ribs from Costco the membrane it generally easy to pull, but when I get them from Sam's the generally come off in little shreds if at all and I end up scoring them. I have no idea why, but I've see this repeatedly.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Not enough meat exposed on the bottom for me to worry much about it. If it doesn't come off easy, I just let it be. That just reminded me of a couple good songs.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEexTomE1I

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d05rcD_hoQo
HAHA! Nice man!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
JonP

I use a butter knife and while it's pulled up I slide finger under skin and start lifting once its pulled up from rib completely (small end) I grab it with a paper towel and work towards large end of ribs. Batting about 90% with that method. To get real technical I start with knife facing towards my gut and use hook finger.
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonP View Post
I use a butter knife and while it's pulled up I slide finger under skin and start lifting once its pulled up from rib completely (small end) I grab it with a paper towel and work towards large end of ribs. Batting about 90% with that method. To get real technical I start with knife facing towards my gut and use hook finger.
Ya I guess it's something that I have to keep at. Doesn't seem to be a real trick to it.