The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
rikun
On the road to being a farker

Default American Royal 2018 schedule?

Hi there,

Looks like the sign-up opens in a few days for AR 2018.

Could someone tell me what the schedule is with invitational & open? Standard KCBS schedule? I'm sure it does't change much from year to year, but I couldn't find last year's infos anymore on the site...

I need to book our flights asap since there is good deal, and would need a ballpark figure when we can leave on Sunday after the ceremony...

EDIT:

Okay found it with Wayback machine, Open awards should be over by 6 pm and everyone needs to be out by 10 pm.. Hmmm.

Another question, on the AR rules they say the head cook/team must be exactly the same that cooked the GC winning contest? Is this enforced strictly?

For a two-man team the long turn-in walk could prove problematic...

Last edited by rikun; 04-01-2018 at 01:41 PM..
rikun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikun View Post
Hi there,

Looks like the sign-up opens in a few days for AR 2018.

Could someone tell me what the schedule is with invitational & open? Standard KCBS schedule? I'm sure it does't change much from year to year, but I couldn't find last year's infos anymore on the site...

I need to book our flights asap since there is good deal, and would need a ballpark figure when we can leave on Sunday after the ceremony...

EDIT:

Okay found it with Wayback machine, Open awards should be over by 6 pm and everyone needs to be out by 10 pm.. Hmmm.

Another question, on the AR rules they say the head cook/team must be exactly the same that cooked the GC winning contest? Is this enforced strictly?

For a two-man team the long turn-in walk could prove problematic...

You can bring all the people you want. The Head Cook of the qualifying team must be there. we always have a few extra team members for that reason.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
The B
Knows what a fatty is.

FWIW registration opens up tomorrow, April 3rd.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
rikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
You can bring all the people you want. The Head Cook of the qualifying team must be there. we always have a few extra team members for that reason.
Well hot d*mn...

I read this from the international qualifying criteria and thought it meant the whole team should exactly be the same:

Quote:
The team eligible and entered to compete in the American Royal Invitational MUST be the same team and Chief Cook who won the qualifying contest. Only the documented Grand Champion combination will be invited. No pass downs will be accepted.
Also, does anyone know what this means:

Quote:
Teams that are in the International Circle do not have to turn in additional proteins at no additional cost. The scores from Open Meat judging will be used to rank the International contestants.
Does it mean that contestants in that village don't need to enter any proteins in Invitational? And they get judged by Open only? Or WTF?

Anyone suggest signing up for an "Space X" with RV? One could fit the RV also on space B if no electricity/water hookup is needed, so just wondering...

Also why would anyone need to buy Straw bales Are they meant just for decoration purposes or...?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

In regards to the International Circle, the Royal gives out an award to the top International Team. What this is saying is that you will not have to turn in another set of boxes for that particular contest. They will simply use your scores from the Open to determine the rankings for the International award.

Space size will be based upon the size of your RV and the amount equipment you need to fit in. Water is available on site, but actual hook-ups are only available in very specific sites. The racetrack has a handful of RV pads that house the race team's tour buses during race weekends. I think those spots also come with dedicated 50 amp power.

Teams use those bales for decor and seating. It's normally the party sites that have them. No need to get them if you don't have a specific need.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
rikun

Aha got it. No way I could have figured that out on my own

I still don't get it why they want us to select if we'd like to be part of international circle or not, what's there to lose?

Old 05-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
rikun

Just about to finish our sign-up...

Just wondering, are there any showers at all for the competitors? I'm thinking no, since many teams bring RV in there?

Old 05-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikun View Post
Just about to finish our sign-up...

Just wondering, are there any showers at all for the competitors? I'm thinking no, since many teams bring RV in there?
I think your sign up is the same as everyone else’s. I was also asked if I wanted to be part of international circle and had to decline since I’m a domestic team lol. Also, there are showers on site, but they are limited. Most bring RVs because it is what we are accustomed to cooking out of, plus gives us all the normal comforts of home.
Cmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american royal, american royal 2018