The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Discussion Thread -> "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Our new TD category is...

"Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza
!"

I thought this day would never come!

As chosen by buccaneer for his win in the "Vietnamese" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is all buccaneers fault
New Category
New To You Pizza.
Must be a pan pizza cooked on a BBQ.
Must be a unique pizza to your culture. In other words, it may be a classic Mutton and Fermented Yak Yogurt that sells all over Mongolia that you can copy, but it must not be a pizza you can order withing your own borders!
There must be a little figurine in your entry shot, like a plastic soldier or a toy rhino or barbie or something. Let's have some fun!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/16 through Sunday 5/25.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 5/26

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.

Last edited by Moose; 05-26-2014 at 12:42 PM..
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default Please accept this Official Entry into the "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza" TD.

This is my entry called "GF Pizza with Fruit Mostarda".

Once I got past the initial few minutes of laughter after reading the theme of this TD I got to thinking and came up with something fairly quickly. It's amazing what we can create given some time to think. I used the online list of toppings from a major pizza chain in my area and made sure none of those listed were in my cook.

I made the sauce on Saturday and cooked the pizza Sunday night. I used Chef Mario Batali's recipe for Fruit Mostarda for the sauce (from 'The Chew'. http://www.recapo.com/the-chew/the-c...ostini-recipe/). I had every intention of cutting the amount of sugar in half but Carol said that Daphne Oz said it wasn't sweet. A cup and a half of sugar seems very sweet to me, but okay, I'll try it the first time. I used dried strawberries, cranberries, apricots, raw sugar and Pinot Noir.

My plan for the pizza was a GF crust, Fruit Mostarda for the sauce, fresh fennel pieces, Mennonite smoked summer sausage and Camembert cheese. I tried the moustarda, fennel and Camembert with and without the summer sausage and found the meat really livened up the mostarda. Eaten together the mostarda sparkled against the smoked sausage.

I made a GF dough for pizza. I've documented it twice in TDs and given the recipe so I'll pass on posting it in this thread. If anyone wants the recipe PM me and I'll give it to you.

Below is the set up for the kettle. Because it was a pizza for high temperature I put all of the charcoal in the middle. I like to use a ripped in half/doubled paper towel roll in the centre of my charcoal chimney, I like the way it gets the coal at the top of the chimney going faster. Rolled up boxboard and thin cardboard work well, too, just make sure there is a tunnel to take flames to the top.

Dough after a 20 minute rest. It spreads like frosting but it's trickier and stickier. In order to be able to put sauce and toppings on it has to prebake 10 minutes.

Please use the photo directly below for voting.

It tasted pretty good but because of the amount of sugar we didn't want to eat more than one piece. I think it would be a good appetizer with friends, especially if you're drinking wine, but I recommend you cut the amount of sugar to ¾ of a cup or less. Cutting the sugar would also create a looser consistency which would be better for this application.

This morning (Monday) we had fried eggs and toast and I brought out the mostarda and extra old white cheddar cheese. What wonderful flavour as a canapé on toast! The same went for the summer sausage, fennel, Camembert and mostarda, a really spectacular canapé. I think where I missed the mark on the pizza is the flavour and salt of the Camembert got lost when it melted into the pizza. I'm saving the pizza leftovers in the freezer for my mom to try next week when she visits and I'm going to warm them up in the oven with extra old white cheddar added. I'm optimistic the salt and mild bitterness of old cheddar will bring balance to the sweetness and the savoury flavours will shine again, just as they do when eaten as a canapé.

Thanks for looking.
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.
I am a success in life because I am loved.
We teach others who we are with everything we say and everything we do.
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

Default Official "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" TD Entry

Please accept this as an official entry in the "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" TD

Smoked Razor Clam Pizza!

The full cook can be found at:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...09#post2928409

Attachment 96523

Attachment 96524

This did not suck, In fact I nwould cook this again

Please use the last picture for the official entry

Thanks for Lookin!
SD

Last edited by Smoke Dawg; 01-25-2015 at 05:26 PM..
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Nice, Nice Nice!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Member KCBS, FBA, CBJ, and Founder French Bbq Association www.kcbs.fr
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Very nice Do you Deliver
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Official Bucc's "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" TD entry

What ever that means...

So I just went with my own interpretation of the special rules. Which ended up being a pan pizza with cheese cooked in a pan on a BBQ.

This cook was done on location with only ingredients that I had on hand...

The usual suspects...

For the sauce I decided to make a cebolada with vidalia onions, stewed tomatoes, garlic and S&P to taste plus a cameo appearance of some hot sauce.

At this point the cebolada was very good but too sweet and I wanted it to be more savory I forgot white wine to reduce it with so I went with some Piri Piri sauce and oh boy that did the trick it was so flavorful...

I happen to have a heart shaped pan which I thought would be perfect for this. The pizza was assemble with TJ's dough, EVOO, cebolada sauce, Topo Sao Jorge cheese, Paio and chourico...

The pizza stone was a little to big for the Hasty Bake Ranger but hit 550 degrees but the area above it was only reading 300 so I decided that I should finish it with a quick broil under the coals...

This end result was one awesome pan pizza that I would be surprised if it could be bought anywhere. The sauce will be my got to sauce from here out with maybe a few tweeks. I shared it with our neighbor campers and they loved it or were very polite.

Vote pic please.

Thanks for looking.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Al Czervik
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh hell ya... Paulie's World Famous Memorial Day Weekend Camping Pizza!

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

^^^^^ What he said Squared! Great looking pie!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Big Ceasar's Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza!

Please accept this as my official entry into the " Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza" Throwdown. First of all let me qualify my entry. Many of you know that I was in the Pizza business before. I have never made a pan pizza and as per the special rules this must be a "new to me pizza'. It also must be a pizza that cannot be ordered in my general surroundings or Country. So without further ado I present my "Big Ceasar's, Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza"!

I live in France and all my topping ingredients are from Spain and cannot be ordered on a menu here in france.

My sauce is a melange of tomato, onion, bell peppers and garlic produced in Spain.

The Chorizo is from Spain.

The Manchego Cheese too!

The Sausage and Peppers are also from Spain. I think you understand by now.

I par cooked the sausage in the oven because I knew it would not cook long enough to be thoroughly cooked in the short amount of time the pie would be on the kamado.

After prepping the vegies and grating the cheese I went down stairs to start the fire. I used lump mixed with corn cobs and waited for the smoke to clear!

Thin blue smoke? NOT!

Then it rained. Fark.....

Not to worry, just a a passing shower.

I stretched out my dough.

Placed it in the pan as per the rules and layed the sausage around the rim.

Covered the sausage with the remaining dough and sealed the edges with a wet finger and a bowl of warm water to keep it moist.

Then came the Sauce.

The Cheese

The Chorizo

The Spanish Flag

Then the Kamado

About 4 minutes in at 550° not quite there yet!

Presenting, "The Big Ceasar Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza" in the spotlight. It's way to big for a little ceasar!

My polling Pic if you please!

Can't wait for breakfast with an egg on top!

Thanks for looking!

Old 05-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
bigabyte

BAM!!!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Toast

Double BAM!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Double BAM!
What no Spam? Thanks Mike!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Wow Jed,
I would eat that pizza!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner!
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky!
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Wow Jed,
I would eat that pizza!!
Thanks Brother! Do you normally eat pizza? Or is it that these ingredients are more to you liking?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

You McGivered it again! I Like!
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote