Bandera reconditioning tips

S

SmokinSailor

Let me start out with that I found this site this morning and immediately joined as it is a fantastic resource! Kudos to the site owner and members!

I am now the proud 3rd owner of a Bandera that I inherited from a friend that upgraded to the enviable Klose Famous 20x40 Backyard Chef. I would like to recondition the Bandera. Not necesarilly to factory condition but certainly to good working condition. I attached pics to help show the condition. The fire grate is gone and I've been using a grilling grate instead but reading this site showed how I can make a replacement. The firebox is rusted and very pited, the top to the firebox does not close tight in the front left and the firebox twists when I lock the side firebox door. The smokebox is in good condition as the paint is not peeling but is dull on the outside. The interior is well seasoned. I've cooked with it several times now and I love it. Although it takes a fair amount of fuel it is incredibly easier to control , fuel etc. than the frustrating New Braunfels water smoker with no air control that I've been trying to learn smoking on. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and guidance on reconditioning

Thanks in advance for all suggestions,
SmokinSailor

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 118
Wire brush in a drill and/or a power sander to remove as much of the surface rust as you can. Paint up the firebox then wipe it down with oil toward the end of each cook to keep it "seasoned" like a cast iron skillet.

Because of the extreme heat, the paint is never gonna stay on the firebox very long. Keep it oiled and it won't matter. Always oil the hinges!!!

As for the lid not closing properly, you can either try to tweak it back into alignment (I wouldn't) or find a large rock to put on top of the lid. I've seen a lot of old 'dera's at contests with the rock mod.

Congrats on a real find. That appears to be an American made Bandera we all wish we could find at a garage sale.

That appears to be an American made Bandera we all wish we could find at a garage sale.
Yep, looks like the one we saw at the Royal a couple of years back.....

KC is dead on with his comments.....1200* paint you can find at the hardware store or Walmart.....replacement shelves are available at the Charbroil web site....download the 101 document and do the mods....oil up all the hindges REAL good with vegatable oil and do it after every cook.....brick on the top mod for the warped lid, it will spring back some with use with the brick on it......now...get to cookin':mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Congrats on a great little cooker.......wish I had one of the older models myself....

Thanks for the suggestions and I plan on doing the mods in the next few weeks. I didn't know some weren't made in the US or that there is a difference. As you can tell, I'm new to the Bandera. SolidKick refers to "REAL GOOD vegetable oil". Sorry for the ignorance but, whats REAL GOOD and whats not?

BTW, I got the Bandera with a cover that is pretty well worn. Any suggestions on a replacement?

:eek: LOL...I see where you got that.....I didn't mean REAL GOOD as expensive vegatable oil, but REAL GOOD as in applying liberally to the hindges....:rolleyes:

My BAD!!! :icon_blush: :oops: I should have been more clear.......maybe I need a beer or 6.......:mrgreen:

Yeah what he said!!

Kick you're still pretty quick for an old fart!!!

I found one of these that was tho old American Made Bandera that hod only been used twice. It still had paint bubbles from the original paint. The rest of the time it was in a garage waiting for me to come along and bring it back to life. Gave the old Bandera to friends that I know will be able to fix it up and appreciate it. My older NBBD is still going strong at my daughters. That old horizontal is really built to last forever and make great BBQ.

Since I have your ear, so to speak... I've read where many suggest you should use a couple probes in the smokebox to monitor cooking temps as the gauge on the door can be very unreliable. Any suggestions on how to put the probes in the firebox knowing the probe wires aren't all that long? I'm not in a hurry to have to deal with wires everytime I open the door and I gotta beleive the plastic transmitter will melt if left dangling along the side of the smokebox or sitting on top...

SmokinSailor said:
Since I have your ear, so to speak... I've read where many suggest you should use a couple probes in the smokebox to monitor cooking temps as the gauge on the door can be very unreliable. Any suggestions on how to put the probes in the firebox knowing the probe wires aren't all that long? I'm not in a hurry to have to deal with wires everytime I open the door and I gotta beleive the plastic transmitter will melt if left dangling along the side of the smokebox or sitting on top...

Simple thing is to just put a chunk of lumber on top in front of exhaust.
A 2 X 6 works fine and is stable.
Plastic units go on top and probe wires down through the vent.
Works for me :lol:

TIM

Thats one of the original banderas from the early 90's.. that logo on the front say oklahoma Joes, or New Braunfels? looks like OKie Joes, which means u got the best one made, followed close by the New braunfels.

Doesnt look like its sagging where the 2 boxes join. If you dont have loss of metal in that area I wouldnt suggest seperating them to wire brush. Just surface sand it/ wire brush it like mentioned above. Mine was gone at the point where the 2 boxes met and had to have surgury.

Buy a firegrate box mod from Spice or have one built if you know a welder.

Download and read "Bandera 101" on the Home Page if you have not already done so.

Looks like mine lol..

I would suggest sanding it down and wiping it with laquer thinner. Then a few coats of 1500 degree hedder paint that can be purchased at a pepboys or auto zone. Like others have said it wont last forever if your using it like you'll want to but it last better then normal paint. My suggestions for moda are the small grate in the bottom to hold a tighter coal pattern then stock, a temp guage in the bottom portion of the door to go with the stock one up high, and the smoke port mod so the smoke goes into the box more evenly. If charcoal is to be your main source of heat then the charcoal tray is a good addition. I used wood so I beefed up my grating and lifted it off the floor of the fire box 1 1/2 inches. Also a peice of 1/8 steel that will fit on the top grill rack to ensure more heat goes into the box is also a necessity for 15 plus hr slow cooks. Hope this helps you as much as it has me. Happy Qing

hey sailor.
im also having to do some rebuild work on my bandera a 35.00 $ yard sale item.not only was the lid of the fire box burnted out also the front an back part of lid an some of the very top.an the side next to the cooking chamber was gone also.all being to replaced with 1/8 plate looks like your fire box was in a better shape than mine.lood luck

kcquer said:
As for the lid not closing properly, you can either try to tweak it back into alignment (I wouldn't) or find a large rock to put on top of the lid. I've seen a lot of old 'dera's at contests with the rock mod.

I'd like to second the rock mod.

Only, I use three (3!) bricks instead of rocks.

WARNING! they get hot... :roll:

Hell, I wouldn't waste my time sandin her down. Get some of that tampica Lard (or what ever the Fark it's called) that comes in a tub and slather the chit all over her everywhere, then load her up with some Kinsford and get her up as hot as you can for about 3 or 4 hours. Get some old heavy canvas material and wipe her down while she's up to temp. That'l remove some of the surface rust, then keep slathering her up with lard through the cook. She'll be lookin good in no time. Then keep her lubed up ( I keep cheap vegetable oil in a spray bottle and spray it everywhere after each cook, especially in the fire box) and keep her covered up while she's restin between cooks...

Back