Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Got Wood.
Default Brisket temp question

I've been doing some research and have found a couple recipe's from seasoned pitmasters (Chris Lilly) that says they cook the brisket to an internal temp of 185. This cant be right can it? Maybe 185 on the point but I thought at 185 on the flat, it would still not be done and you need to take the flat to 195/205. Thoughts?
WSM 22 & WSM 18.5
Cap5233 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
is One Chatty Farker

Don't cook to internal temp. Every brisket is different and each will have a different finishing temp. Cook by feel instead....
Proud owner of 4 VERY ugly drum smokers....and a Greasy Hill reverse flow....
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
is Blowin Smoke!

There's been several things that Chris Lilly has said that I didn't agree with and that is another one! If you pull that brisket at an internal temp of 185, you may as well lace it up and wear it cause SHOE LEATHER is what you'll have!
Probe tender for doneness not IT.
Never Trust A Skinny Cook!!!
Lone Star Grillz Vertical Offset, New Braunfels Black Diamond Offset (Retired), Weber Kettle
oldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
is one Smokin' Farker

There is no way that Chris Lilly cooks it only to 185 IT. Where did you see that?
Do not eat any of it raw or boiled at all with water, but rather roasted with fire. Exodus 12:9
GrillsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe he starts probing at 185 is all I can imagine. Personally when it get to 190 I pull out the probe and finish cooking it from there.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Could wrapping versus not wrapping account for some of the temperature difference? (along the lines of 185 unwrapped could be roughly equivalent to 190 wrapped?). I heard the 185F thing too. On my last brisket, I had to cut off a lot more hard fat than usual. I didn't foil, and it took much longer than expected to get up to 185, so I checked for tenderness at 185 and decided that it was ready. I'm only at roughly the intermediate stage on my brisket learning curve, so I could have gotten it wrong, but it was very tender in the thick middle, and the result was one of my better ones.
18.5 WSM, 22.5 WSM, Weber 22.5 OTG, CyberQ WiFi
BBQArk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brisket is a Tx thang that Bama boy might know pork butt, but I know Brisket!

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.
I never met a Cow that I didn't like with a little Salt & Pepper! Certified PORK-A-HOLIC
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote