Vertical smoker build in progress

RookieTJx2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A buddy at work has been talking about wanting a smoker, so I figured why not?

It's going to be a 24x24x44 double wall with insulation and fire box/grill combo.

Got a little bit done tonight. I was squeezing the last bit of shielding gas out of my welder, so my welds don't look the best. I'll grind them down and do it right when I get more gas tomorrow.

Got it framed out last night using 2x2 angle. Tonight, I got started on the bottom. First thing was to install a drain for easy cleaning. I welded tabs to a 1 1/4x6 pipe.

Then, I centered it and welded it to the inside of the smoker. I set it an inch down so I could slope the bottom and make it easier the clean.

Now, time for the plasma cutter.
I couldn't imagine ever going back to a torch. With the drag tip, cutting is quick and it leaves an almost perfect edge and almost no slag. More pics...

That's it for now. More to come...

Is it wrong to have looked at your post and then your location secretly hoping it was someone I worked with building it for me :mrgreen:

Got more shielding gas today and finished welding the bottom.

After that, I moved onto the top. I cut a piece, got it set in.

And marked out for the exhaust vents. The barbeque calculator suggested one 4x4 exhaust, but I figured it's easier to close one off than to wish you had two. So, I cut two in.

After I cut the exhausts in, I welded it in place. I went ahead and sloped it front to back. My thinking is, this will keep any nasty stuff from dripping on the food.

After that, I started piecing together the vents...

BTW, I realize I'm brand new here, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or stepping on toes with this thread...

Go ahead and step on my toes all you want :laugh: That is some really nice work and attention to detail. And, welocme to the forum, you are gonna love this place.

That is a good looking build in progress! Can't wait to see it progress more!

Welcome and that is some really nice work you are doing there!

learning to weld is right up on my list of things to do - this website is inspirational in seeing what people can do with some sheet metal and a welding machine...as for the plasma cutter - that is just opening a whole new world of ideas in my head!

Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Keep the pictures coming, a vertical smoker is next on my list's of build's!!

Back