oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
CSchieck
Knows what a fatty is.

Default King Mackerel

Caught a bunch of King Mackerel with my eldest boy on a charter boat, and am looking for ideas for smoking some. Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (87.8 KB, 235 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
CSchieck
Knows what a fatty is.

sorry about the sideways photo...

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
jbuntingsr
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome, good day.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
bearohs
Knows what a fatty is.

OK..
So Kings are pretty bad to eat man. Fun to catch on light gear but smoked is about all you can do with them.

Brine them first, id suggest some soy, sugar, ginger sugar type brine.

Smoke as low as you can.

The other way to cook kings are to steak them and cut out nuggest and fry..

We have some monster kings right now off St Pete. Schools of 50lb fish about 15 miles offshore.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
ace27705
On the road to being a farker

they look like Spanish mackerel...I could be wrong....anyways her are 2 easy ways that always work for me ... gutt em and smoke them whole. How you ask ?

1. brush them in olive oil and season them with sonny salt or lawrey's season salt. Even that tony's cha.... I cant spell it creole salt. smoke at 225 to 250 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.I cook mine longer about 1 hour 30 I like them to dry up an bit and flake them off as a snack with crackers.

2. for a nice dinner.....Brush em in oil stuff them with a little sautéed onion (I like to add tomatoes too) Light salt pepper and lemon juice and wrap them in very thin bacon or prosciutto from head to tail. grill indirect at 350ish for about 15 minutes maybe 25 if using bacon or smoke 250 for about 1 hour 15 minutes. depending on the size of the fish of course check one and make sure the meat is flakey and opaque and the bacon is done if using bacon. Serve those bad boys up with some grilled asparagus and some roasted new potatoes or flavored rice. Blam !!! You'r reign as king of the grill will easily remain intact. Feel free to message me for my legendary smoked fish dip.IT Can't be publicized !!! LOL
ace27705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
bearohs
Knows what a fatty is.

I saw 2 that looked like kings, but with that size i'd guess spanny's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27705 View Post
they look like Spanish mackerel...I could be wrong....anyways her are 2 easy ways that always work for me ... gutt em and smoke them whole. How you ask ?

1. brush them in olive oil and season them with sonny salt or lawrey's season salt. Even that tony's cha.... I cant spell it creole salt. smoke at 225 to 250 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.I cook mine longer about 1 hour 30 I like them to dry up an bit and flake them off as a snack with crackers.

2. for a nice dinner.....Brush em in oil stuff them with a little sautéed onion (I like to add tomatoes too) Light salt pepper and lemon juice and wrap them in very thin bacon or prosciutto from head to tail. grill indirect at 350ish for about 15 minutes maybe 25 if using bacon or smoke 250 for about 1 hour 15 minutes. depending on the size of the fish of course check one and make sure the meat is flakey and opaque and the bacon is done if using bacon. Serve those bad boys up with some grilled asparagus and some roasted new potatoes or flavored rice. Blam !!! You'r reign as king of the grill will easily remain intact. Feel free to message me for my legendary smoked fish dip.IT Can't be publicized !!! LOL

Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice catch!
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
chingador
Take a breath!

Kings are not the best eating fish out there, that is for sure. The smaller ones are much better. The larger ones are not too good to be honest. The consistency of the meet is pretty soft and dries out too easy. The color is greyish. The flavor isn't that bad though. Sort of oily, kinda like salmon. It is best to cut the blood line out before you cook them. The meat with the blood line is worthless.

Kingfish are not bad fried. I like to marinade them in buttermilk for at least a couple of hours. Rinse off excess, roll in cornmeal and fry in peanut oil. They are good grilled too. I suppose you could look up any recipe to smoke salmon with for Kings because the meat is oily.

My favorite thing to do is to make King mackeral salad. Use your favorite tuna salad recipe and simply replace King mackeral for tuna. I grill the king mackeral, let it cool, then mix with mayo, lemon juice, chopped celery, green onion and dill. Very good on ritz crackers. This is pretty much the only way I eat king mackeral now. I love it and will box one just to make this.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice catch My father had a king fish smoked I think that he got in FL Tasted pretty good
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

We love most fish, including Kings!

Here is a King cook I did awhile back.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=king

We also do them sauteed in clarified butter with sprigs of Rosemary.

Did some Trigger fish last night--a totally underappreciated fish and I hope it stays that way
Keeps the price down.

Good Eats!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
cholloway
is Blowin Smoke!

What ever you decide to do be sure to remove the bloodline that runs along each side.
Spanish Mackeral are spotted. These are small Kings.
They are great rolled in seasoned (peppered) bread crumbs and deep fried.
New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
35 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
cholloway
is Blowin Smoke!

FTFY...

New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
35 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I like them fried, and I like them in smoked mackeral dip. I think mackeral get a bad rap, because there are so many good fish to eat. What I have found is like most fish, the fresher the better.

Looks like you had a great day, and congrats!
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

One more quick note. I have fished the entire Windes fleet. I have always had a great experience with them. They are some of the most top rated captains in Destin.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
jjrkegler
Got Wood.

We don't have Mackerel up here but it looks like Mackerel are oily. We do have Lake Trout that are also oily. While most people don't like them, I smoke them and almost prefer them to smoked salmon.You will need to brine them first.

To brine them, add a measured amount of water to a large bowl (I start with 8 cups). Add pickling salt a little at a time (1/4 cup), stir and set an egg in the water. When the egg floats you have enough salt (it's around a full cup for me). Then double the water by adding another 8 cups or whatever you started with. Drop the filets in at night (with a plate or something to keep them submerged) and you're ready to smoke the next day. You can add seasonings (herbs, brown sugar, teriyaki, etc.) to the brine or add some on top before smoking.

I smoke them with apple/cherry at 225-250 and it can take 2-3 hours for filets (from 10-15# fish). Yours look to be in the 3-5# range so probably less. When they start to flake they are done. I then let them cool, vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer.
jjrkegler is offline   Reply With Quote