The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
sroderic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Kamado vs Offset

Okay, so I already have a kamado (Vision), which I love and puts out great Q. However, after obsessing over this forum for the past couple of years, I can't stop thinking about trying an offset. The extra capacity for larger cooks justify it in my mind, but I'm really interested in comparing the cooks. I've found a great deal on a barely used quality meadow creek patio unit (only downside is it's a good 4 hours away), so now it's time to put up or shut up.

So what do the brethren say? Any of you out there that own both a kamado and an offset? What are the perks of owning both? Or does one go mostly unused in favor of the other? One cook certain foods better than the other?

Thanks!
sroderic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Both - two different styles of cook and you will use both. You will probally end up Smoking on the offset and grilling, High heat searing on the Kamado.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
ssv3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Own a Vision as well but just like you I see a stick burner in my future. I feel you pain/addiction. I'm eventually going to pull the trigger on a Lone Star Grillz pipe offset with an upright smoker. Gotta a few things on order before the offset but it's coming for sure.

I say go for it. Sorry can't be of anymore help but IMO offset will put out another flavor profile that kamado can't. Not to say kamado is inferior but I think apples and oranges. BTW I love my kamado.
Blackstone Griddle 36
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
PBC
Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters 30x20 Grill
Member of "THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I have both but like Smitty said, I grill on my Kamado and smoke on the stick burner. Totally different flavor profile when cooking w/ sticks.

Check out Shirley Fabrication if you're in the market for a reverse flow.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I love my Kamado and Yoder Pellet, but there is nothing more fun to do that tend a fire and cook on an offset. You feel more a part of the process, and the food quality is fantastic. Most pits will make great 'Q, but the fun in the stickburner is the process. I will get a good quality offset sometime in the next few years to fill that void for when I have the time to tend the pit.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

I own (4) Meadow Creek units;
BBQ42C - Very Good Chicken Cooker
BBQ42 - Awesome Chicken Cooker (nicer cause you can support the grate in upper position)
PR60G. - Awesome pig cooker in either standard or gas. (I got the gas in case I needed the extra security of gas if charcoal didn't pull through) (got he charcoal insert and it does a great job) haven't had to fire up gas yet.
SQ36 Stick Burner - the verdicts still out on this one. Not happy with fluctuating temps and inability to control fire... I built a 48" stick burner unit with no experience that cooked better...Unless it's cheap, I'd buy something with more thumbs up. (sorry Meadow Creek) But saying all that, all the OTHER Meadow Creeks I own are AWESOME!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
I love my Kamado and Yoder Pellet, but there is nothing more fun to do that tend a fire and cook on an offset. You feel more a part of the process, and the food quality is fantastic. Most pits will make great 'Q, but the fun in the stickburner is the process. I will get a good quality offset sometime in the next few years to fill that void for when I have the time to tend the pit.
^ right on.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Jason TQ

I don't smoke much on my egg, but use it a lot for pizza. I love my offset and tending the fire is fun. Having both gives you a great variety of ways to cook.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

I also own a kamado (Char-Griller Akorn) and will be looking for an offset in the coming years. My smoked foods already comes out great out of my kamado, but people saying it taste even better from an offset, oh man!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Vision, two Big Green Eggs and a small offset trailer.

The kamado grills are awesome for long, efficient cooks and I use them often, especially for overnight cooks. But I make much better BBQ on my stick burner (and I've had it less time than my kamados).

Definitely get one if you can!
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Kimo1
On the road to being a farker

I have an Akorn and like the way it cooks but the flavor difference between it and the stick burner is noticeable. I use it more for grilling now.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
gtr

Buying another cooker is purt near always the right answer.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Drake
Full Fledged Farker

I've got the Egg and a Shirley Fab offset. I used to do it all in the egg. But since I got the Offset the egg has only gotten the grill duties. There is a difference in taste with the offset and I like tending the fire. I've never needed to cook more than my large egg can hold but I don't have to puzzle piece things together on the offset. I still love the egg and it will get the long overnight cooks and the grilling but I like smoking on the offset. Since I got the offset I've been cooking the bigger meats hot and fast. They are different tools for different jobs.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
rwalters
Full Fledged Farker

Just my 2-cents... I own 2 kamado's, and used to own a stick burner. Yes, the stick burners are FUN, and yes, they turn out some pretty tasty food!!! The thing that got me with the stick burner is the time commitment. With a super busy family, I found that I simply did not have the time to devote to "stick cooking"... it is "time" that led me to my 2 kamado's, and I have had zero regrets. Yes, they produce different end results... and I enjoy both of them :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

If you've got a chance at a Meadow Creek for a good price, then I'd suggest that you jump at it. There's plenty of us here who can help you to get the hang of stick burning and you'll be learning on a quality pit instead of a COS from a box store!
A word of caution though, once you get the Meadow Creek goin' there may be no turning back for you, the flavor and quality of your Q will have you hooked on stick burning from that time forward!